Knee surgery

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Knee surgery

Post by silverking »

Haven't had the procedure myself, although won't be surprised if it's not in my future due to rigors of Naval service and my years as a guide/boat tester.

My Mom has had both replaced though. She was dedicated about the physical therapy and had absolutely no problems. She's now going on 20+ years with the replacements.

It's all what you put into it. Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery to get back out on the water. Same to you, BlueSpinner! :thumbup:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

what Cranfield said is the way my knee was done , My dr did not call it robot
cranfield thanks
yes night are the worst for me
One thing about the speed of light it gets here too early in the morning
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Hated to bring this thread up again but I just had to add one final comment:

HOLLY CRAP THAT HURTS!! :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Juan wrote:Hated to bring this thread up again but I just had to add one final comment:

What were you doing wrong ? :wink:
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Cranfield wrote:
Juan wrote:Hated to bring this thread up again but I just had to add one final comment:

What were you doing wrong ? :wink:
If I knew, I won't do it again! :-D Doctor says everything went as planned so I guess it will get better with therapy but I'm concerned about swelling and not being able to lift my leg. I go for a post surgery evaluation Monday maybe they will ease my concerns.
ddb

Post by ddb »

I'm sure it will get better every day, that's the way it appears to work. I'd appreciate hearing more about your recovery. I see a couple of these in my future as well.
rickc

Post by rickc »

but the therapy is hell.

most important that you do it though. its the key to a sucessful outcome
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

it took me 3 week before i could pick up my leg with out help
it's been just over 8 weeks for me and it still swell by the end of the day
and the therapy is great for the first few visit
about the 3 week it get down to the nut cutting and that person that was working on your knee
become a your favorite person to dis like
but remember they are helping you walk and fish
good luck
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Pain, stiffness, swelling,etc., is all part of the deal and we all seem to suffer different intensities and lengths of time for these.
This has little to do with the effectiveness of the surgery, but more to do with ourselves.
Our physiology is a factor, like how fit, agile and pain free were we before the surgery. What previous experience of major surgery have we had. Don't underestimate the shock to the system of major surgery. The anaesthetic alone can mess you about for weeks , then add the nerves, tendons and muscles that have been rearranged and knocked about, its not surprising we don't see marathon running (or even walking) in our future..... initially.

Lifting the straight leg with a light weight over the ankle is probably one of the most effective exercises, as it builds up the quadriceps muscles above the knee on the thigh, these give you strength and stability for your knee operation.
Some surgeons recommend extensive sessions of this exercise before the Op, as it helps recovery.

Stick with the programme, the improvements may be slower than you want, but it will get better.
Trust me, I survived. :wink:
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Cranfield wrote: Lifting the straight leg with a light weight over the ankle is probably one of the most effective exercises, as it builds up the quadriceps muscles above the knee on the thigh, these give you strength and stability for your knee operation.
Some surgeons recommend extensive sessions of this exercise before the Op, as it helps recovery.
Thanks guys. You've all been really helpful answering my questions and easing my concerns. I've had 3 major back surgeries in the past but other than torn meniscus repairs on both knees, this was my first full blown knee replacement and I didn't know what to expect. I learned a lot about the effects of anesthesia and side effects of the pain killing narcotics from the back surgeries so was able to avoid some of the issues I previously had with those but since the replacement is a first for me, I guess I'm still a bit paranoid. My only real worry at this point is that I can't lift my leg straight up at all from a sitting position. I can move it in every other direction (with pain) I know how Ivar the boneless must have felt :-D
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Cranfield wrote:
Lifting the straight leg with a light weight over the ankle is probably one of the most effective exercises, as it builds up the quadriceps muscles above the knee on the thigh, these give you strength and stability for your knee operation.

Stick with the programme, the improvements may be slower than you want, but it will get better.
Trust me, I survived. :wink:
Man that brings me back... first surgery I had on my right knee part of the recovery was 1 - 2.5lb ankle weight leg lifts. Sit on the couch/recliner and 3x a day, 500 times each - 1500 times total a day. Insane. I also had part of my femur shaved off where bone was regenerating there and had to reform.

But I cannot tell you HOW important it is to do EXACTLY what the Doc/PT instruct you to do. I half-assed my last couple of weeks of recovery and had an Orthopedic that, well... sucked, and released me to go play ball again without an exit-release x-ray. long story short, femur didn't form back correctly and as PA puts it, "Uncle Arthur pays me a visit when it gets this cold out or a major storm rolls through."
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

FishWithChris wrote: first surgery I had on my right knee part of the recovery was 1 - 2.5lb ankle weight leg lifts. Sit on the couch/recliner and 3x a day, 500 times each - 1500 times total a day.
Good Lord! You kin to Superman? an ice pack and a 5lb weight just sitting on my leg for 15 minutes is killing me!
Had my first therapy session at rehab this morning and they made a difference. Don't know if it was the different exercises or the electric shock from the TENs unit but it's getting better. :-D
Old Dog
Site Sponsor

Post by Old Dog »

JUAN (Rick), when you start getting my early spring trout snagging reports you'll be amazed at how fast your recovery will go. They start next week. :)

OD
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Juan wrote: Had my first therapy session at rehab this morning and they made a difference. Don't know if it was the different exercises or the electric shock from the TENs unit but it's getting better. :-D
If those people are any good, they give you confidence and that is as important as the exercises.
If it becomes too bad, try getting tazered , a bit extreme, but it would make you forget the pain, just a thought. 8)
Blue spinner
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue spinner »

Juan therapy is good ha ha
i did my therapy and still doing at home and as we are on the road with out it
we will have a limp in our step , it dose get better one of my fishing buddy had his done about the same time
as you he is saying the same thing you are saying this any fun but it' getting better almost daily
luck brother