Refurbished Garmin electronics

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Danibeth

Refurbished Garmin electronics

Post by Danibeth »

Hey guys I am hoping maybe y‘all can help me out. I am looking to buy a Garmin Alpha. The difference between a new and refurbished one is $100. Has anyone ever bought refurbished Garmin units? Have you been happy with them? I know there is a one year warranty when they come refurbished from the factory but I want this unit to last me years if possible. Any comments are greatly appreciated if anyone has had experience with refurbished Garmin products.

Thanks

Danibeth
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Re: Refurbished Garmin electronics

Post by Steve Stinson »

Never bought a refurbished one, but I can tell you that in the hand-held units the power supply wires seem to be the weak link. For some reason, Garmin made the positive and negative wires in the older units about the diameter of a human hair. If they get dropped or vibrate off of a center console, many times they will not power back up.

Other than that one issue, I have bought several both new and used units with no troubles. I actually keep a good handheld in addition to my console mounted units because I can easily take my waypoints to my kayak or friends boats.

- Steve Stinson
Danibeth

Re: Refurbished Garmin electronics

Post by Danibeth »

Interesting on the power supply wire issues. Hopefully that isn't something that I will need to worry about with the Alpha. Thanks for the input