Pecan tree, worth it or not

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tailwaters

Pecan tree, worth it or not

Post by tailwaters »

I have a rather large / straight pecan tree in my yard that lost most of it's branches and the very top of it during the hurricane. I'm going to need to cut it down in the next month or two but wanted to get your guys opinion on it first. It is 108" round and am guessing 45' tall. It's also as straight as a telephone pole too. I have access to a tractor and flatbed and wanted to know if it was worth the hassle of selling it to a saw mill or not? Anyone have any experience in this sort of thing?

Thanks for the advise in advance!
RedHillsTurkeyCalls

Re: Pecan tree, worth it or not

Post by RedHillsTurkeyCalls »

This is what I can tell ya about pecan...I know 2 gentleman that have orchards out of Cairo. They have close to 100 trees on the ground, and know others that have thousands on the ground.

They paid someone to come fell the leaners and buck the trunks to manageable lengths.

They can not give them away, for someone to just tote them off and clean up. I get what I can.

I can not imagine anyone paying for pecan right now.

Cut it up and pile it in a corner..let it spalt. Then you'll have something that interests wood turners/workers.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

It will make great smoker wood.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

fishinfool wrote:It will make great smoker wood.
How much do you want buddy? I know TW has a reel he’s looking to get to you :wink:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Ditto what RedHillsTurkeyCalls said. Thanksgiving I drove to visit a brother I have who lives in North Georgia and saw countless pecans down in the North FL / South GA portion of the drive.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

RedHillsTurkeyCalls wrote:This is what I can tell ya about pecan...I know 2 gentleman that have orchards out of Cairo. They have close to 100 trees on the ground, and know others that have thousands on the ground.

They paid someone to come fell the leaners and buck the trunks to manageable lengths.

They can not give them away, for someone to just tote them off and clean up. I get what I can.

I can not imagine anyone paying for pecan right now.

Cut it up and pile it in a corner..let it spalt. Then you'll have something that interests wood turners/workers.
That's what I was thinking until my neighbor pointed out all those trees are shaped like bushed meaning lots of branches and not straight. The one in my yard is shaped like a really large pine tree. Tall and straight.

Thanks for the advice fellas, Looks like I will be turned into fire wood. Too bad my fire place is gas though.
Jim, I will give you all the smoking wood you want!!
RedHillsTurkeyCalls

Post by RedHillsTurkeyCalls »

Todays market that is accessible to most of us that commands most value is crotch wood, spalts, and figure.

Have a look inside
Price3275

Post by Price3275 »

I'll second this... Love pecan wood in the smoker. :thumbup:
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

I’m a pecan farmer and my father built a wood house, and really became sort of a wood enthusiast in his old age. Pecan wood is good for smoking like many have said. It is a beautiful wood in building, but it’s not the most economical. All the boards have to be short because no matter how much weight you put on anything over a few feet out of the sawmill, it will bow.