Purchase Power

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Re: Purchase Power

Post by MudDucker »

I worry about boycotting due to politics small businesses. On the other hand, I'm all for boycotting big businesses that push politics, because they have so much economic clout. I know that Crum and Lovel (Spring Creek Restaurant) have both been vocal about the net ban. Crum doesn't hide behind a separate entity and instead acts in his own name. These two grew up where that was a bigger part of the locals economy than sport fishermen. I also watched the mackerel stocks I grew up enjoying were decimated by net fishing. I wish there was a way for them to target mullet without the by catch.

Mr. Crum has always been very cordial and helpful to me. Knowing his history, I doubt I'll stop shopping there.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I worry about boycotting due to politics small businesses. On the other hand, I'm all for boycotting big businesses that push politics, because they have so much economic clout. I know that Crum and Lovel (Spring Creek Restaurant) have both been vocal about the net ban. Crum doesn't hide behind a separate entity and instead acts in his own name. These two grew up where that was a bigger part of the locals economy than sport fishermen. I also watched the mackerel stocks I grew up enjoying were decimated by net fishing. I wish there was a way for them to target mullet without the by catch.

Mr. Crum has always been very cordial and helpful to me. Knowing his history, I doubt I'll stop shopping there.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Redfin wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:SK didn’t seem rude or attack his business ( he runs a fine business,,, I miss shopping there), imho he was just passing along info that the lawsuit was reopened for those that want to know.
WOW - once again, you jump on SK's bandwagon every chance you get... to defend him. He clearly stated he was boycotting a business - fine, his decision. The post name in itself says it all - "Purchase Power". And his quote "Fortunately there is a simple and effective solution: Spend your hard-earned dollars at tackle shops, marinas and gas stations that are not actively trying to undermine the will of the voters and roll back historic improvements in marine conservation."

God forbid others have opinions on the matter that are contrary to his beliefs. You said "SK didn’t seem rude or attack his business ".. He literally attacked businesses: "I choose to send a loud message with my wallet. I won’t patronize those businesses that are intent on harming a publicly-owned resource." Which is fine, its his $$ but come on.. he DID attack his business.
I guess what you and I consider an attach are different. I’m not defending SK. I’m defending what he said. Every cca member got the email. I choose to side with cca on this. Redfin, you have an obvious dislike of sk and you choose to go against everything he posts, but you can just as easily attack cca. And you can vote with your wallet. Spend all you can there,, tell him you support him. It’s America and you have the right... The CCA sent the email to everyone letting them know an ENEMY of the program is at it again. I agree he is nice, but he is an enemy of what cca is working towards. I won’t spend another dime in there even if I have to drive out of the way and spend 40 cents more a gallon in gas
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

Salty Gator wrote:Redfin, you have an obvious dislike of sk and you choose to go against everything he posts
100% false, you are the only one stating that anytime I post anything which may reflect views that go against his and also that don't align with yours.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Redfin wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:Redfin, you have an obvious dislike of sk and you choose to go against everything he posts
100% false, you are the only one stating that anytime I post anything which may reflect views that go against his and also that don't align with yours.
Dude, you are always so passive aggressive to him on everything he posts. You jump all over him every chance you get. Everyone can see it. You aren’t fooling anyone.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Net fishing was a way of life for the local forgotten coast. The Net Ban felt like a ban on that way of life. I understand why it still has so many long time residents upset and willing to continue the fight.

With that said, is there hard evidence that the local fisheries have recovered because of the net ban? If so, the problem now is that the old school mentality hasn't shifted to new revenue sources created by the net ban.

I haven't shopped at Crum's Mini Mall in years so this discussion won't change my habits.
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

Pretty clear you are the only one taking issue with it. I have no ill will towards SK at all. Very knowledgable guy. Just calling you out on the obvious. No hard feelings.
Salty Gator wrote:
Redfin wrote:
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Redfin wrote:Pretty clear you are the only one taking issue with it.
He might not be the only one taking issue with it, but currently he is the only one posting about it here.
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

What issue is there to take? It's called an opinion. Everyone has them. I don't think calling out to boycott a business on a fishing forum is cool. Again, my opinion. Not attacking anyone. Not sure how some of ya'll get through your day with such thin skin, must make for a long week.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

MudDucker wrote:I worry about boycotting due to politics small businesses. On the other hand, I'm all for boycotting big businesses that push politics, because they have so much economic clout. I know that Crum and Lovel (Spring Creek Restaurant) have both been vocal about the net ban. Crum doesn't hide behind a separate entity and instead acts in his own name. These two grew up where that was a bigger part of the locals economy than sport fishermen. I also watched the mackerel stocks I grew up enjoying were decimated by net fishing. I wish there was a way for them to target mullet without the by catch.

Just curious, why do you boycott big business that push politics, but not a small business. Seems to me the money that you spend in a small business would more directly go to the politics you don’t agree with. What percent of the money spent at dicks goes to “fighting “ the second amendment vs what percent you spend at Crums goes to lawyers to fight the net ban? Dicks just stopped selling ar’s, hi cap mags and to people under 21. That’s it . Not paying lobbyists or layers to do anything. Crum is spending money made off of us to fight the net ban...If business want to get politics involved, then they have to live with the consequences of upsetting people that don’t agree. Mr Crum is free to spend his money anyway he likes, as do we. I chose not to spend mine where the profits go against what I believe
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I grew up in a commercial fishing environment and commercial fished for a few years. That's how the people in that area made a living so I was against a net ban as were most of the people I knew at the time but we didn't have much of a say in the matter and it still came to pass and the folks that depended on the nets adjusted. I'm a recreational fisherman these days and can now see the harm and the difference done to fish population with nets but I can still understand that some people who made their livings via nets haven't accepted the net ban. Just my opinion but I don't believe that any one group of individuals or company arguing for or against is going to make much of a difference one way or the other. btw: I vote to keep the ban intact. :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

I've never been to Crum's. This whole issue is the way we were raised. At one time some people didn't believe slavery was wrong. Most of those died believing it wasn't wrong. Now we cringe at how bad slavery was. The people that want the net band reversed are out for economic gain. They don't care about what's left for the rest of us . Just want what's best for themselves. They will die believing netting is a good thing, and it is for them. It's hard to change what you were raised to believe. That being said every person has a right to spend their money exactly as they see fit. On Politics or shopping away from politics. The choice is ours
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
Chill-N-Grill
Site Sponsor

Post by Chill-N-Grill »

Salty Gator wrote:
MudDucker wrote:I worry about boycotting due to politics small businesses. On the other hand, I'm all for boycotting big businesses that push politics, because they have so much economic clout. I know that Crum and Lovel (Spring Creek Restaurant) have both been vocal about the net ban. Crum doesn't hide behind a separate entity and instead acts in his own name. These two grew up where that was a bigger part of the locals economy than sport fishermen. I also watched the mackerel stocks I grew up enjoying were decimated by net fishing. I wish there was a way for them to target mullet without the by catch.

Just curious, why do you boycott big business that push politics, but not a small business. Seems to me the money that you spend in a small business would more directly go to the politics you don’t agree with. What percent of the money spent at dicks goes to “fighting “ the second amendment vs what percent you spend at Crums goes to lawyers to fight the net ban? Dicks just stopped selling ar’s, hi cap mags and to people under 21. That’s it . Not paying lobbyists or layers to do anything. Crum is spending money made off of us to fight the net ban...If business want to get politics involved, then they have to live with the consequences of upsetting people that don’t agree. Mr Crum is free to spend his money anyway he likes, as do we. I chose not to spend mine where the profits go against what I believe

My stand on shopping at Dick's is because they are going against my 2A rights. Mr Crum has not violated my rights. I see both sides of what the net ban has done. I will still shop at Crum's.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Chill-N-Grill wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:

My stand on shopping at Dick's is because they are going against my 2A rights. Mr Crum has not violated my rights. I see both sides of what the net ban has done. I will still shop at Crum's.
My question was for mudducker about why he’d boycott big business not small...I was using dicks as an example.
But if we’re on the conversation of dicks, how did they go against your second amendment rights?? All they did was to stop selling ar’s, hi cap mags and to those under 21. Your second amendment rights are exactly as they were...mr Crum is also going after a constitutional amendment, one that ended a bad practice. With money made off of us
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Pirate, you nailed it.

Many of us do not form opinions; we have opinions formed for and delivered to us when we are young, and that's how it goes. Then we spend the rest of our lives chasing "facts" that support our opinions. I'm as guilty as anybody on this, but I sometimes accidentally read or hear ideas that challenge my comfort zone. These ideas are not easy to accept, but how else do I become marginally less ignorant and myopic?