Wakulla River Historical Help

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Jawjadawg

Wakulla River Historical Help

Post by Jawjadawg »

I am almost certain I read that the old chimneys along the Wakulla river were used for boiling saltwater to make gunpowder during a previous war. ????? Did I dream this or is that correct? I can't seem to relocate this information.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Wakulla River Historical Help

Post by silverking »

Don't know the answer to that question, but I'll bet CSMarine or Chuck Shields would. Both men grew up in St. Marks and know the town's history well.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

I tried a few google searches and this was about the closest thing I could find speaking to the general subject...

http://www.flpublicarchaeology.org/blog ... civil-war/
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
willfish
Site Sponsor

Post by willfish »

They boiled saltwater to collect the salt, which was used to preserve fish and beef. I've seen the remains of the old salt vats on the refuge, not much to look at. They were destroyed when the boys in blue invaded.