Skunk Report

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mbweimar

Skunk Report

Post by mbweimar »

Last night, a buddy and I, and his girlfriend put in at Coe landing on Talquin and headed over to iron curtain. We arrived just before sunset and decided to throw plastic worms around the cypress trees looking for largemouth...nada. After a while I switched to a suspending Rapala X-Rap...nada. My buddy managed to hook up with a small largemouth but couldn't get it in the boat before it threw the hook. Finally just before dark I pulled out the tried and true Smithwick Devils Horse. Threw around for a while with no luck, but while we were all turned around looking at a large gator that seemed to be following us...WHAM! Something big smashed my Devils Horse so hard it went air born. As I turned around I saw the lure hit the water again and let it sit there for several seconds. Gave a few small twitches, just enough to spin the blades a bit, then a pause for another 15-20 seconds. WHAM! This time I felt the weight of the fish and got a solid hook set. This guy did NOT want to come in the boat and I kept worrying about the gator that had been following us. Luckily a short time later I got the fish in the boat. 22" Largemouth but I was surprised how SKINNY this fish was.

By the time all the excitement was over it was too dark to throw up into the cypress so we decided to anchor and try to find some cats. We moved all up and down the channel side of iron curtain with no luck. Moved across to the north shoreline for a while, and found nothing but a lone FWC officer. He wrote me a warning for not having a throwable (oops) and was on his way. Still no luck on the north shore so we moved back closer to the channel. We stayed till 0130 with one hookup with a NICE cat, but my buddy let him go.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Re: Skunk Report

Post by mjsigns »

Sounds like a good trip to me. I should be on a first name basis with every FWC as I seem to get stopped both on the way out and on the way in... :thumbup: :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.