Lake Jackson (Millers Landing and Crowder rd)

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Poopong McPlop

Lake Jackson (Millers Landing and Crowder rd)

Post by Poopong McPlop »

We put in at Millers landing at 1:30pm hoping that the water would be up enough to launch easily. When we arrived we immediately noticed that the water was still 2-3ft short of full pool. We trolled out the boat trail, and were immediately greeted by water choked to the surface with weeds. Everywhere we went we were met with weeds nearly to the surface. I tried to get to the boat trail, but it was too choked out and I didnt want to get lost trying to find the main trail since the path was not obvious. We could literally find almost no openings in the weeds to fish, even though this was the deepest overall section of the lake. In May the water was lower, but the weeds were not as high, but since this is the western side of the lake, the vegetation was much higher. At 2:30, I fell out of the boat, but immediately pulled myself back in and with that, we decided to pull out and put in at Crowder. I was luckily able to find a small clearing in the weeds and get the boat on plane and run her in. I would NOT put in at Millers unless the water level comes up to full pool or the weeds die back after the summer.

We arrived at Crowder at 3pm, the water was about 2ft short of the concrete boat ramp and we had to dry launch the boat on hard packed clay. We had a 4x4 but it would have been risky to back the truck out further since the bottom was very soft. The water was very turbid throughout the Crowder half of the lake and it acted to kill off some of the lily pads and some of the hydrilla that was previously growing. I think the water turned over on this half of the lake from all the rain. There didnt appear to be a thermocline on the sonar. It was very tough fishing while we were out there. We managed a few nice shellcrackers and some smaller BG fishing just off, and in pockets in the offshore pads by the Lakeshore drive side of the lake. A hard rain came at 6, and we ran in to avoid any possible lightning. Afterwards, we managed only a couple more fish before calling it a day and running the boat trail to familiarize myself with the location of the sink holes and the gator holes. We saw carp finning, and some Bass in the boat trail, and inside the pads here and there. All in all there wasnt much action though.