Lake Jackson 7/23/13 (Rhoden Cove and Crowder rd)

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Poopong McPlop

Lake Jackson 7/23/13 (Rhoden Cove and Crowder rd)

Post by Poopong McPlop »

We had a tentative fishing date set for today based on how much rain was coming. We were gonna try Jackson yesterday, but it was raining all day, and I was in no mood for that. The skies were overcast at 2:00pm when we put in with lots of darker clouds. The wind switched from NW before noon to 20mph SE as soon as we arrived. Surface temps were in the high 70s and the water was turbid from the rains. The plan initially was to run the boat trails, and fish porter hole and lime sink, the sunset landing offshore boat trail, and out front of HWY 27. We started out fishing clear areas in front of the inshore dollar pads and caught several 8" shell crackers feeding just outside the pads. The wind was howling so I let out the anchor and we drifted north extremely slow, fishing areas that appeared to be "fishy". At 4pm the rain came for about 10 minutes. Afterwards we ended up finding a great protected shallow feeding area with cover, adjacent to very deep water and it was the ticket. We caught about 20 fat Bluegill and shell crackers 8-11". We were able to pull a ton of fish before the bite spooked on 2 missed pulls and a lot of disappearing friends. At 8, we ran to Rhoden Cover to assess the boat trail. The concrete ramp has water and you can launch there now, but its choked with weeds. We used the outboard and cleared out the boat trail right up to the last 20ft of the ramp. The water intakes on the motor clogged and my outboard stopped peeing so we stopped chopping up the vegetation, cleared it out and ran her on in. We ended up catching about 30 fish, and all but 3 were keepers. They looked like Lake Miccosukee Gator hole bream, nice and thick, most of our fish were a pound or close to it. The channeled apple snails are really giving the shellcrackers a ton of food it seems and all the pads are giving the bream a massive feeding area. The water is still 5ft short of full pool, and with 2 more feet of water youll be able launch just about any type of boat at all the ramps. As of now you can launch a mud motor at Sunset and Rhoden Cove. Today, light rig set ups and whole pink worms were king, besting split worms and crickets. Another great day at Lake Jackson.

Last edited by Poopong McPlop on July 24th, 2013, 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenfly

Re: Lake Jackson 7/24/13 (Rhoden Cove and Crowder rd)

Post by kenfly »

Awesome catch and Glad to see water getting back in the lake, been a few weeks since I went out there, but I am very tired of the rain. Maybe I'll try and take my son out there to catch a few of those
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Re: Lake Jackson 7/23/13 (Rhoden Cove and Crowder rd)

Post by Rhettley »

Worm dirt covered hands. Love it! I haven't bream fished in a while but you are making me want to go knock the spider webs off the bream busters and fly rod. Keep up the reports of yall's adventures.
fearthespear

Post by fearthespear »

New to the site and freshwater fishing (big saltwater fisherman). I just got my hands on a 14ft fiberglass jon boat. Where do you suggest launching at Lake Jackson?

p..s awesome report
Poopong McPlop

Post by Poopong McPlop »

fearthespear wrote:New to the site and freshwater fishing (big saltwater fisherman). I just got my hands on a 14ft fiberglass jon boat. Where do you suggest launching at Lake Jackson?

p..s awesome report
HWY 27 has hard bottom going 150ft out into the water if you want to launch properly. If you have a 4x4 you can launch at Crowder rd and go out into the water a little. If you're coming from HWY 27 its helpful to use google maps satellite to initially learn the boat trails. You must stay on plane in the boat trails. Its very difficult in most spots to get out of the hole if youve come off plane in most of the trails. If you need to get back on plane you can idle it to the one of the sink holes, clean off the prop and get a running start again or find one of the few deep spots in a section of trail to clean the prop.