Hello BigBend Fishing

Use this area to post freshwater fishing reports from the area lakes and rivers. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

LONGISLANDFISHERMAN

Hello BigBend Fishing

Post by LONGISLANDFISHERMAN »

Hello All, My wife and I just moved down here to Crawfordville from Long Island, NY . We are now retired from the rat race and we are looking to do some fishing from the shores of some of the local lakes and ponds. We are not as young as we use to be, so we are looking for easy access without alot of walking. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks tight line
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Hello BigBend Fishing

Post by Salty Gator »

Welcome. I don't really fish much freshwater, so hopefully someone with more Intel will chime in, but til then. Check out the st marks wildlife refuge. There are a number of freshwater ponds right off the road that will hold bass and bream. You can pull right up to where you want to fish. Good picnic area and bathrooms are available , it is also a big time bird watching area. Remember if you don't see lily pads , its probability saltwater. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
countrycorners

Post by countrycorners »

There's a sign next to the parking area on a lake down in KIssimmee:
"Every Lake contains Snakes and Alligators"
Thats true in all of Florida and most of "the South". Keep that in mind when you're standing on any shore.
As for fishing from shore, I've not had much good luck. I got a Kayak years ago and believe thats the best low budget option.
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Piney Z is quite fishable by foot but is a catch & release.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I haven't fished it but I hear you can fish from the old dam over at Lake Miccosukee near Reeve's Landing. Just another option.
Yours in the South
bass3769

Post by bass3769 »

LONGISLANDFISHERMAN wrote:Hello All, My wife and I just moved down here to Crawfordville from Long Island, NY . We are now retired from the rat race and we are looking to do some fishing from the shores of some of the local lakes and ponds. We are not as young as we use to be, so we are looking for easy access without alot of walking. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks tight line

Welcome to the south LONGISLANDFISHERMAN, I migrated down to south Ga. from LI back in 2002. i don't miss it up there except for easy access to party boats. This forum will be great help. tight lines.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

WELCOME TO THE BOARD, LAKE SEMINOLE, OVER AT CHATTAHOOCHE, ABOUT 20 MILES WEST OF TALLAHASSEE HAS MANY PARKS THAT YOU CAN FISH FROM SHORE, ALL THE WAY UP TO BAINBRIDGE, GA. LIKE WAS MENTIONED ON A EARLIER POST, THE PONDS DOWN AT ST. MARKS LIGHTHOUSE HAVE MANY DIKES YOU CAN FISH FROM BUT BE WARE OF THE SNAKES AND GATORS, THEY WILL GENERALLY RUN AWAY FROM YOU BUT DO NOT SURPRISE THEM, THEY STRIKE FAST. IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN FISHING SALT WATER, THERE ARE MANY SPOTS ALONG US 98 THAT YOU CAN FISH FROM SHORE OR WADE FISH, JUST DO NOT STEP ON ANY STINGRAYS. YA NEED TO GET A 16-18 FT. ALUM. JOHN BOAT, THEN THERE ARE MANY SMALL LAKES AND RIVERS THAT ARE BEAUTIFUL AS WELL AS GOOD FISHING. I FISH AT THE ST.MARKS LIGHTHOUSE ON THE FLATS USING SMALL JOHN BOATS, I HAVE FOUND THAT ANY OF THE BETTER KNOW ALUM. BOATS WORK GREAT, LIKE LOWES, G-3'S, LUNDS, ALUMACRAFT, ETC. THERE ARE MANY USED ONE'S THAT CAN BE BOUGHT AT A RESONABLE PRICE. CHECK OUT THE FOR SALE OR BUY FORUM ON THIS SITE. GOOD LUCK.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
LONGISLANDFISHERMAN

Thanks for all the feed back, my neighbor Keith took me out fishing on his boat in the gulf yesterday. We caught trout, triple tail, cobia. I saw sea turtles and dolphin. Only the one trout and one triple tail were keepers. This is like heaven here, I still have not gone fresh water yet,we will soon. tight lines all
LONGISLANDFISHERMAN

So I got to wet a line a few times from shore, i fished the Wakulla river at the boat ramp under the coastal hwy, no fish but a big old gator lol, then I tried lake Ellen at the boat ramp there with no luck. I'm kinda figuring for fresh water I'm going to need a small boat. So i am going to try surf fishing in the Gulf. I went to Bottoms Rd by the ramp for a few hours today, saw dolphins and rays but caught no fish. I would appreciate any tips such as baits,spots I can try to catch something in the gulf. Tight lines all
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Live shrimp under a popping cork
Shrimp on a jig head
Skitterwalk
Mirrodine
Gold Aquadream Spoon
Cut mullet on a bottom rig

Do you have a cast net? Get some live bait and throw it out on the bottom or under a cork and hold on.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Can'tCatchAnything

Post by Can'tCatchAnything »

I was out at Mashes Sands beach today around 6pm. Using netted bull minnows and wading out waist deep throwing a 1 oz lead, 4 ft of 20 lb leader, and a 1/0 hook, I managed ladyfish, sharks, and 1 pretty large trout. My buddy, tossing a free line and minnows, caught several Spanish mackerals; the Spanish weren't hitting the bottom rig. This is how we fish maybe 90% of the time we fish from shore.

I like to play the circle of life with a cast net, but shrimp probably buys the most bites. Many species flat won't eat a baitfish but will destroy a shrimp. A well cared-for net will pay for itself in no time compared to buying shrimp, gulp, or lures, and in my opinion is the best way to go for shore fishing.