WTB Mercury Midsection

Need to buy or sell something, post it here.(Only Sponsor Businesses Please)

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Walker1448

WTB Mercury Midsection

Post by Walker1448 »

I have a 1998 Mercury Optimax 150 HP with 25" Shaft. The motor only has 400 hours and runs Great! The only problem is that the steering arm has rusted in two.

Looking for a Mercury with blown head that I could use the midsection and put my head and foot on.

Thanks,

2Dawgs
leonreno

Re: WTB Mercury Midsection

Post by leonreno »

Can't help you but you may want to try bbcboards.net they have a lot of mercury motor discussions and classified items for sale. Link: http://www.bbcboards.net/forum.php
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

Check with Waivel Porter in Woodville, or the marine place in Hosford. They may have an old one laying in the yard. There is also a guy who advertises rebuilt Mercury lower units on Craigs List that may have one.

Just a side question - Are you sure you need the entire midsection? On my Mercury the arm coming out beneath the powerhead that received the steering arm is a separate piece. I had to replace it a year or two ago. Post a pic of the problem if you get a chance.

- Steve Stinson
Walker1448

Post by Walker1448 »

Technically, All I really need is the steering arm/ swivel pin, but this part alone is $800 plus the labor to replace is high since you must pull the power head and strip the engine all the way down to the frame. Since the engine has rust, it is likely that this job will be even more difficult since the bolts will most likely be difficult to remove and may very well break off.

I have been advised by several mechanics, that getting a mid section in good shape with minimal rust would be a lot less labor intensive and thus less expensive. I think that engines made after 2002 had Stainless Steel steering arm and swivel pin.

So, I need a mid section for a 25" Mercury 150.... or if someone has an entire engine with a blown power head.

Thanks,

Walker
Outdoorsnole

Post by Outdoorsnole »

I have a 2004 25" mercury 150. Blew my head not too long ago. Everything else is clean.
Walker1448

Post by Walker1448 »

I am interested in more details. Tried to send you a PM, but it got hung in my Outbox. Please call or text me to discuss further details on engine. Price and location?

850-838-6261

Thanks,

Walker
Walker1448

Post by Walker1448 »

I never heard from Outdoorsnole, so I am still looking for a midsection or completed motor with blown head. Let me know if you have anything that might work for me. Optimax 150 HP with 25" shaft.

Thanks,

Walker
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Sending you a PM with a phone number. Call him and tell him jumptrout sent you.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Walker1448

Post by Walker1448 »

Jumptrout,

Thanks for the lead. I talked to Butch and he thought that his midsection was good, but once he looked closer, his steering arm and pivot pin was rusted pretty badly as well.

I think that maybe they changed to Stainless Steel on the Pivot Pin in 2002 or so on the Optimax.

Anyone else have a lead on a midsection or decent parts motor to match up with a 1998 Optimax 150.

I am also considering upgrading to a 200 or 225 hp if I could find a good used Optimax with 25" shaft. Anyone got anything like that let me know as well.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Walker
850-838-6261
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

When we fished Steinhatchee a few weeks back,Sea Hag had a used one on the rack for sale right outside their door.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Guy in NJ is parting out a 1998 150 Opti. Might be worth a look.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/parts-forum ... parts.html
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

I believe before the change to all SS swing arms the ones labeled Salwater or Offshore were the ones with the SS arms.
Walker1448

Post by Walker1448 »

My 1998 Optimax 150 is a Salt Water Series, but unfortunately, it does NOT have a stainless steering arm and pivot pin, so it is rusted completely out. I have a lead on a "Fresh Water" parts motor that I am going to see on Black Friday and hopefully this will solve my problem.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Walker