Sawtooth Oak Saplings

Need to buy or sell something, post it here.(Only Sponsor Businesses Please)

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

Sawtooth Oak Saplings

Post by big bend gyrene »

That time of year again... if anybody on the forum would like to get their hands on some cheap sawtooth oak saplings, I've got approximately 70 I can part with.

I've grown these saplings from acorns acquired from a friend in Georgia who has now twice shipped me acorns from his trees. I've bought several hundred acorns from him but only have had time to plant about 50. Those I've planted have done great, with some of the 12" to 18" tall saplings I planted last spring actually popping out of 5' tall tubes I used to protect them.

Online prices for similar sized saplings are a bit all over the map, but unless you're buying bulk lots over 500 to 1,000 trees most prices look to be at least $1.50 with many sites listing prices over $2 a sapling.

For anyone interested, I'll EITHER sale all as a group for $0.75 each OR I'll break the lot into smaller sales for a $1.00 a sapling.

Think the price is fair enough I have no desire to rush anyone... BUT... warm winter weather has some individual buds already opening and I'll be completely honest in sharing that trees I planted last year before full-leaf out had survival rates well over 90%, and that's without irrigation or any babying outside of tubing them. I planted about 10 after full leaf-out and the survival rates were only about 50%, though again without any irrigation or babying.

Anybody interested just let me know. Work in Tallahassee very close to where Thomasville Road and I-10 meet and can bring them into town for pickup. Selling them "as is" but can promise I'll be giving them to you with roots healthy and kept moist until pick-up.

Though the pictures are actually of the saplings I planted too late last year, still think the pictures do a fair job representing the root establishment... and for the trees I planted before leaf-out they looked this good AFTER planting. :thumbup: :beer:
Sawtooth Oaks.jpg
Sawtooth Oaks.jpg (85.92 KiB) Viewed 3069 times
Sawtooth Oaks 2.jpg
Sawtooth Oaks 2.jpg (82.63 KiB) Viewed 3069 times
Last edited by big bend gyrene on February 14th, 2018, 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
big bend gyrene

Re: Cheap Sawtooth Oak Saplings For Sale

And just a note for anyone who hasn't planted them before, they CAN be planted like pine saplings with the simple use of a dibble bar or drain spade shovel... no need for time consuming digging of a big/deep hole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftQ1Uuq48ew[/video]
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

BBG was kind enough to let me have some of his culls from last season. We kept them in pots through the summer and planted them on our property in November. So far, so good and I'm hoping to stick around at least long enough to see them bear acorns.

If you're looking for some well-tended saplings, this is a good deal.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
big bend gyrene

As an update it's Valentines Day 2018 and I've got 50+ small saplings ready for planting that haven't yet budded out. Past experience I've had is nearly 100% survive if panted before buds leaf out. Anyone want them, PM me. I've planted about 100 at my place and don't really have spots for these so happy to part with them. Take best offer I get for them if anyone has interest.
Crippledminnow

Re: Sawtooth Oak Saplings

Post by Crippledminnow »

Hey BBG, If you are coming to town tomorrow, bring about fifteen of the saplings with you and call me. I will come to you and pick them up. I lost a lot of trees last year to the storms. Thank You 850 528 7040
big bend gyrene

Crippledminnow wrote:Hey BBG, If you are coming to town tomorrow, bring about fifteen of the saplings with you and call me. I will come to you and pick them up. I lost a lot of trees last year to the storms. Thank You 850 528 7040
Crippledminnow, looked through your posts and if not mistaken picked up you live in Wacissa? If so, might even be easier for you to get them anytime you're driving around near home. I'm less than a mile from the intersection of 59 and Highway 27. Could literally make it as easy for you as pulling over about 20' off 27 near the intersection.

If I don't see a response by the morning, though, I'll see if I can grab some to carry to the office.
Crippledminnow

Post by Crippledminnow »

No big deal I can even get them this weekend if its better. I'm at the canopy before you get in to Wacissa
big bend gyrene

Crippledminnow wrote:No big deal I can even get them this weekend if its better. I'm at the canopy before you get in to Wacissa
Think it'd be easier and likely help keep the trees alive if you can pick them up this weekend.

Is the phone number you shared a mobile I can shoot a text to? Either way I can text or call to let you know when I've got them ready.

Not sure if you have tree tubes or wire to make cages to protect them, but if not might want to line some up if you have as many deer over your way as we do up the road a few miles. When I first planted mine deer started nibbling on them almost instantly and forced me to put tubes on them right quick like.
big bend gyrene

About 1/2 gone to Crippledminnow now, leaving 25 or so left for anyone who might be interested. Gladly GIVE away the remaining ones without asking a penny in return for time I've taken to raise them from acorn, pot, carefully trim any potentially girdling roots (hardly any with ones pulled for Crippledminnow), bundle up, and put in pot with wet medium for delivery.

Key is planting them soon before they bud as it almost guarantees survival if you protect them with tubes. None are leafing out yet, but bet they will within next couple of weeks. Roots looked pretty good on Crippledminnow's...
20180217_115505.jpg
Most of the saplings are already about 2' tall.
20180217_115716.jpg
Most I've planted grow fairly quickly if tubed and protected from deer browsing. One planted the last go round already about 8' tall.
20180217_115133.jpg
Nobody wants them may be throwing them on the burn pile just to clean up around my place, so again gladly give them away for free just to help anyone who's intested in planting them. I've got about 100 above tree tube height now and, again, just don't really have any more spots I want to put more in.