shell point fishing report

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

pjones

shell point fishing report

Post by pjones »

went out after the rain friday around 4pm. caught 8 short trout and 3 catfish on pinfish in oyster bay. my 6 year old daughter caught 6 of the trout and one of the catfish, she is now hooked.

went out saturday to the duck blind at panacea, 3 shorts and 1 keeper. wife caught the keeper.

sunday we went to both places again and caught 5 shorts.

spent most of my weekend baiting hooks for the 6 year old. 15 year old too busy sunnin herself on front of boat to fish. good time had by all. no scallops to speak of.

highlight of the weekend -- watching my 6 year old catching those trout on very light tackle -- she had a ball.

pjones
pjones

Post by pjones »

sorry tk, forgot about inshore and offshore reports.

still learnin

pjones
Linetangler

Shell Point 7/4 & 7/5 trip report

Post by Linetangler »

Left out friday about 630AM with 2 boats guided by Doc and Stan on mine had our limit of 15 keeper trout by 1PM, Doc's boat ended up with 13 keepers for the day. Weather was terrible but the bite was on before and during the rainstorms. Had a couple of them lightning bolts come mighty close but parked my rear in the seat and kept my rodtips down as much as I could to try and keep the lowest profile possible. Also threw back 6 short ones before 1PM. All caught on live shrimp about 2 1/2 feet under Cajun thunder. Fished hard in several areas for these all in vicinity of maybe 2-3 miles east and southeast of lighthouse in 7 ft. plus of water. Rain didn't seem to bother the bite. Biggest one went 4 1/2 lb. will put some pictures up later. Went to Grey Mare after limit on trout and on the very 1st cast nailed a 4 1/4lb Red. Then had no more bites after that one. Just a lucky cast. We then headed west to the oyster bars and in the grass looking for more reds but only came up with couple of hardheads and a pinfish rest of the day. Saw quiet a few gators back there.Headed back to the Marina about 4PM.
Saturday July 5th - Planned to go Grouper fishing with guide out of Bayside Marina in Panacea. Left out just before 6AM and got under the bridge when motor started to crap out. Bad batch of diesel full of dirt. Finally, got going again maybe made it another mile and had to return to the marina just not worth the risk of getting stuck offshore. Got back about 645AM and headed back to Shell Point. Went with Jeff as a guide in one boat and me as pretend wannabe guide in the other with my two trash talking cronies Weather was looking perfect.
Headed out of marina and got about a mile below 4 mile creek and I'll be da@*&d if the forward gear did not go out on this boat. I started to feel a little bit snakebit for sure. Marina brought us out another boat and we switched to it. This great weather was not great for fishing for us. Caught 2 trout(only one keeper), 3 lady fish, 2 hardheads, 1 remora all morning. Finally after tide change about 1 PM bite picked up. Between the two boats we ended up with 7 keeper trout and 1 black rock bass to take home for the day. No live shrimp available anywhere we checked before we left so that hurt. We caught everything on DOA's the red ones seemed to catch the most with the white ones coming in second. All were caught on the bottom Carolina rigged with a 1/4 oz bullet weight located about 1 foot up from the hook on a real slow retreive. All but 2 were caught in 7-9 ft of water wallowing in the mud.
As always when I go to fish out of St. Marks I had a blast and even though we didn't catch alot of fish on Saturday I wouldn't have rather been anywhere else. Thanks to the guides at Shell Point. See ya in the Fall.
L.T.