Keaton Scallops, late report 7/25/2003

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dbplug
Site Sponsor

Keaton Scallops, late report 7/25/2003

Post by dbplug »

Took my two little girls and the lady neighbor scalloping on Friday. While waiting out the rain in the morning, we made conversation with a nice country gentelman from Pearson GA.

He educated the neighbor lady on what it was like growing up in rural Georgia on a farm and being the only boy in an 8 woman household. The guy was astonishing. I suspect he is a self made multi millionaire without the airs. He invited us back to his place for coffee and we met his wife an granddaughter. I wish I were more eloquent, it was a Cranfield moment.

Anyway, this scalloping trip was a little different than 1 week earlier. fewer scallops, water a little darker. Last time found tons of them in 8 feet. This time very few in 8 feet. Found almost allof them in 4-6 feet. Was difficult to see through the top layer of water(83degrees) to the bottom layer of cooler water(75-77 degrees). Wait, not cooler, dang cold!Like looking through cooking oil.

Limited in about 5 hours. Hard to find. They were not close to shore.

As an aside - don't think I will ever hit the ramps on the weekends again. As much as I like Keaton, my only Saturday trip there last week deterred me from ever going again on the weekends. Someone hit my less than 3 month old trailer so hard that it bent the frame to unusable and unsafe. Looking at $800 to replace. No note, not jack.

I would guess that whoever hit it had consumed so much alchohol that they would be busted anyway. Sometimes people just floor me.

Anybody want to hook up through the week, lemme know.
Y'all have a good one.
for petes sake
seatrout99
Site Sponsor

Post by seatrout99 »

Thanks for the report. I checked out the public ramp situation as Steinhatchee and Keaton. Too crowded for me. Give Keaton Beach Marina a try. Sorry to hear about your trailer. Doesn't really surprise me. Had a buddy that put in a Aucilla some years back. Came back to the ramp to find his trailer frame on the ground. It seems someone needed a new axle and tires, and since his was parked at the ramp, it must be free. :( :(