Boats

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Sharky

Boats

Post by Sharky »

My husband and I are trying to decide if and what to look for in a new boat. Of course we would love to have the best of both worlds, one that will run shallow enough to fish next to shore for reds and one that has high enough side walls to "rock and roll" with the 4-5 ft seas we have been fighting lately. :evil:
Anyone out there have any input on what to and not to look at?
We have looked at Sea Chaser, Sea Hunt, and Cape Craft. Having a difficult time deciding. 8)
I'd rather have a bad day on the water than a good day at work!!
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Thats a pretty extreme swing, to go real shallow an handle that kind of seas. I can see going as shallow as 3 - 4 feet without a trolling motor, but then a deep boat will require a long shaft trolling motor, cause you don't want to try to pole it. If your willing to except 3 - 4 as your max minimum depth then any of the boats you suggested would be fine. When it comes to deciding on which one, look at all the features and decide what you can and cannot live without, and go from there.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Take a look at the angler 2200 Grand Bay.
What was I supposed to do today?
CBASS_UGA

Post by CBASS_UGA »

Sharky, like DS mentioned that's a pretty tall order but I know of a boat that would perfectly fit that need. The Sea Chaser 220 Bay Runner. This boat is an innerliner which gives it a lot of weight that is important when you are in rough seas, yet at the same time it is very light for it's size, weighing in at only 1850 lbs. It has a very aggresive "V" that can handle the 3-5 footers like you wouldn't believe. The most amazing thing about the boat is that it has a 11.5-12" draft. And it will come up on plane in about 15". If none of yau'll believe me about come by the store and I'll prove it. That thing is a rocket.

CBASS
chugbug

Post by chugbug »

I have considered the Cape Craft myself. The 22 WI doesn't draft near as much as you would think. They are also very affordable. With a 150 Yamaha you can get it for ~22,000 with flushable breaks. Cape Craft is made by the same people that make Palm Beach and Key West boats I believe.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Try this one on for size....http://www.gausebuiltboats.com/
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Sharky, I have a couple friends who have18 foot, model 19v Kenners. Draft is 6 inches, sides are high enough for the bay, and the bow is not too high for a trolling motor. 90 HP pushes it about 30-35 loaded. Price is reasonable.
Semper Fi