St.George Sound 7/26

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

AJ
Site Sponsor

St.George Sound 7/26

Post by AJ »

At Last a good day of fishing to report. Calm Seas (aka sharkbait) and I started out behind Dog Island at daylight. I picked up my first trout over 20" then the winds forced us back to the mainland. Picked up eight more keepers there and one more behind StGeorge before we put the first short in the boat.

This was the best day of inshore fishing I've had in a long time. Maybe things are starting to get heated up.

The only bad thing was my trolling motor battery did not last. It's a new battery so my charger must be bad.
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

Hi, AJ, I was over that way about two weeks ago, and did reasonably well also. I fished over behind little St. George, and half way between the cut and the bridge. The first day I caught a limit with big fish being 20 on the nose and on the second day I caught three keepers with one being 24 inches, and missed a "Humongous" trout. That maybe the hot spot :wink:
Fish Masterson
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Way to go, someone found some inshore fishes. :thumbup:
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

And half of them were on top water :P
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

AJ,
How deep is the water where yo ufound the trout? I have fished St.George sound several times but caught few trout. We may be too deep if you got most of yours on topwater.
Yours in the South
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

I can't speak for AJ, but when I went a few weeks ago, we caught most of ours in 4-6 feet, over grass, fairly close to the island. I also caught several nice fish on top water, and some on a CT with a 24-30" leader.
Fish Masterson
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

Behind the island we were in 2-6 ft and around the mainland we stayed in 5-6 ft. I would look for 8 ft or less with grass or patchy grass.

I honestly think we just got lucky, or maybe God figured I have suffered long enough without a good catch.