Wanting to go.

Use this area to post diving and spearfishing fishing reports from the area Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, bottom temp, visibility, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bob huff

Wanting to go.

Post by bob huff »

I have a place on SGI and a new 29cc Twin Vee. Would certainly like to hook up some people to go diving with and possibly some spearfishing. Have been fishing the area for a while but haven't seen much diving. Not sure of the best places or times.

Bob
DWilliams

Post by DWilliams »

Artificials are a good place to start. I keep an eye on the sonar for hardbottom. Trolling can help find fish. How do you like the Twin Vee? I fish/dive east of DI. If you ever need a spot filled post it here or spearboard or if you are looking to catch a ride. What's the vis been like over that way?
bob huff

Post by bob huff »

I haven't been diving around there at all yet so I can't help you with the visibility. Just got the Twin Vee but so far I have been impressed by the ride and the seas it will handle. Had a 2006 24' Everglades and got tired of getting beat-up and wet all the time. No comparison it the 2 boats.

Bob
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I'm up for trips most weekends. I have plenty of numbers I'm willing to share, and lots I won't. Let me know if you ever need a rider or riders as I can usually find 2 or 3 others willing to split gas.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

bob huff

Post by bob huff »

Tom, would any of your numbers be close enough for us to leave from Appalachicola? I usually run out of Bay City Lodge when I'm down.

Bob
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

If you are familiar with O tower (21 miles SE of Sikes), most of my numbers are south, east and north of there. I have a few west of there and sw of there. Coming out of Apalach most of the numbers are pretty deep as well 70+ feet. Which is fine by me but I don't know your dive comfort level.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

bob huff

Post by bob huff »

Do know where O tower is. Fished there a little last year. Also fish around C tower and a spot about 15-20 miles south of there. Depth of dive is whatever it is, as long as vis is descent. Learned to dive in the quarries and inland lakes around here, like diving in a mudhole. That got old in a hurry when I went to Jamaica and figured out you can actually see under water farther than you hand. Got my advanced cert. a few years ago but I just don't get to dive near as much as I would like. Never done any spearfishing. Maybe with the place on SGI that will change.

Thanks for the responses,

Bob
Speardivertampa

Post by Speardivertampa »

Your boat belongs in the middlegrounds.:-) If you are comfortable to about 90' or more there is AWESOME stuff out there. The trip is about 70m each way though. Huge coral structures(I'm talking 30' tall) fish everywhere vis usually 60' plus. As far as local trips your best bet is like Tom said from OTower east. Whever you end up going your best bet is to get a couple numbers from a generous soul and be constantly looking for new stuff during your surface intervals. As soon as your back up on the boat put it in idle and keep watching the finder. Noones numbers can compare to new spots you find yourself. Anyway good luck you got a sweet ride to work with. Let me know if you ever wanna make the grounds trip.

-Chris
H & L Outfitters