Keaton 8/16/03

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dstockwell

Keaton 8/16/03

Post by dstockwell »

Well we got to the public ramp at dark early, we were the first in the lot. Still dark we motor down the canal, see a few gettin ready to go out, and head on our way. Ran the 7 miles to our first destination.

Started with the grubs/fishbites combo and were gettin a few nibbles, Ah the pinfish :( , then we catch a few shorts here and there, then the sun starts to poke its head over the horizon and the bite gets a little better. OK let me drop this rig down and catch a few pins to see what happens. Couple of casts later the son gets a good pull, and proceeds to reel in whatever this may be. Aw but wait, there is no surface action and the drag is pullin a little. Well its not gonna be a Trout, and of course it was not. But he did pull in about a 2.5lb Sailcat. :thumbup: Not bad.

Fire up the livewell, and catch a few pins, and put them in there new home, bite still slow, and a few more pins, then decide to move on. WRONG... :crook: Hit the key and get rurr, rurr, rurr. WTF, just ran 7 miles whats up with the battery. OK shut all electronics off, fish a little more and try again. Rurr, rurr, rurr, OK I have a spare battery, but thinkin I have not used the spare since I have had the boat, have charged it a few times, maybe, just maybe this thing is gonna work. So I proceed to switch out the battery.

Motor comes to life, this is good. :thumbup: OK turn electronics back on and get nothing. No GPS, bottom machine, radio, or livewell. :x Now what. He!! screw it. Now I don't have any electronics, decide to move anyway, stop here and there and use the oar to figure how shallow I am, and finally stop. Bite picks up some, and we get a small blue, a couple small sea bass, and a short spanish. Ended up with three cutoffs on the pinfish cajun thunder combos, even cut one with 50lb leader. :x Finally in between all the mess I get three keepers, and headed to the hill. Still nice day on the water except for the problems, and after the tide change the grass was everywhere.

tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Ya coulda been home mowin the grass, or painting. Glad ya got out.
What was I supposed to do today?
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Painting... :P How was your day.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Way to go :thumbup:
pjones

Post by pjones »

still a good day. :thumbup:
did the grass come in on high tide? that is the way it was last weekend.

i spent the day pullin kids round long pond, :thumbup: did not even carry any poles. :thumbdown:
Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

Way to hang in there. Nothing flips the panic button like turning the key and the motor not cranking. Have you considered a perko switch? It makes changing a batteries a snap. 8)
Sea Ya !
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

pj - High tide was at 5:30 a.m. so we were out there just after high tide, and low was suppose to be at approx 11:20 or so. All the grass came at the low tide time frame.

Seafox - That would be OK, except makin the holes in the boat to install. :o I did not take that long to swap. Who knows maybe one day.
seatrout99
Site Sponsor

Post by seatrout99 »

Don,

We ran out of Suwanee about 13 miles. Hit a rock hole or two. Caught a bunch of grunts, sea bass, hog snapper, and red grouper. Then the sharks showed up. I caught a seven footer, and then we hooked up with a 8 1/2 to 9 footer which we boated. Our buddy boat landed his twin. Can you say marinated shark steak on the grill?? :D :D

dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

:thumbup: Nice job.. Hogfish is a rare hook line catch. They usually get speared. WTG.
seatrout99
Site Sponsor

Post by seatrout99 »

My buddy caught it on a strip of FishBites in 35 feet of water in a rock bed. Red Grouper were in there too. We only fished for 2 1/2 hours on Saturday. Had 12 gallon ziplock freezer bags full of deboned fileted meat. Of course, most of it was shark steak about an inch thick.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Hey ST99 what kind of Sharks are those. Strange looking mouths. Kinda looks like nurse sharks.
Semper Fi
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

CS, they're nurse sharks. Not ranked much as table fare, as far as I know. Seatrout, If the grilling works out let me know how you did it.
Stockwell, nice report, the detail puts me there for a minute or two. That's much appreciated -given the domestic mission I was on.
-going out tomorrow though!!
seatrout99
Site Sponsor

Post by seatrout99 »

They are VERY good to eat.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Hey ST,

I'd really be interested in hearing what you use/recipe for your marinate.
How long you marinate and any tips with respect to how you grill em. Might be good to reply to the "tips and ..." forum Thanks.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".