offshore sat. scallops sun. at econfina

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

KFulater

offshore sat. scallops sun. at econfina

Post by KFulater »

Got to the boat ramp sat. morning at 9:30 plan was to do some grouper trolling, hole searching ,and diving.We get to the 35 ft area let the stretch 30's go 10 min later a big Spanish mackerel comes aboard.Another 30 min later a nice 29 inch gag comes in.After that we troll for another hour with no luck so we decided to go back to where we caught the grouper to get a first hand look.After me and buddy suited up we go over looked to be about 20ft vis that change as we head down the anchor rope to about 10 ft.Get to the bottom started to look around lots of small grouper then a nice one comes out of nowhere take aim and shoot did nothing but scare him away.Shortly after reloading I look to see a big red grouper swimming under my buddy take aim again and shoot a hit to the gills immediately runs into a hole.After a few minutes trying to get him out my spear comes out and he swims out the other side looks at me and takes off.Low on air we head to the surface.Troll some more with one more 23" gag.Drop on another hole 6ft ledge with alot of life and a 6ft nurse shark that greeted us then left but not one grouper.After that saw the rain clouds building in the distance so we headed back to the camp.This only being the fourth dive since being certified I have lots to learn about shooting fish but it is a lot of fun to go down and shot and see the scenery.
Sunday got up for some scallops and drinking :beer: .Lots out there limited out by 2 o'clock.

the grouper sat.

me and my wife with a few scallops.
end weekend total
29" and 23" gag grouper
many scallops
and a whole lot of fun :-D
CATCH 22

Post by CATCH 22 »

Cool deal. Where was Ya scalloping?
You’ve reached middle age when all you exercise is caution.
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

wtg :thumbup:
dawghouse1

Post by dawghouse1 »

Thanks for the report :thumbup: :thumbup:
"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."---Will Rogers