St. Marks 8-29-03

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

lightchop

Post by lightchop »

Thanks, both TC and CSM. Yeah, I've done well there a bunch of times, just didn't know the name, which is usually the case with me! I also confuse some places between Ickky and Keaton Beach, for some reason. It has to do with me fishing too much with my sons and just one other guy and we never have much occasion to compare specific places with names. You guys have a broad base of fishing friends, compared to me. I just gotta get out of the house more often! I'm trying!
Something I wanted to mention about Ickky in particular. Y'all remember about '91-'92, out of Ickky when the water was crystal clear? I'd just got my KW 1700 and the water was so clear just out from the river mouth, you could see bottom in 15-20' of water. There was a big weed patch on the bottom at about 16' and my son and I would put on silver spoons (Clark's, I believe) and let them sink down about 5' from the bottom and actuall see bluefish haul out of the grass patch and grab the spoon. We'd often catch 7-10 blues just for the fun of the hard fight, and release 'em all. Another thing, back then, in that clear water was those long mud, "clouds" (called mullet muds, I think) where schools of mullet would stir-up the bottom and it would trigger trout and flounder into a feeding frenzy. We'd look for them and fish the perimiter and pull in trout and flounder 'till our arms ached! Of course, we released all but a few for the skillet. I've never seen that clear water around Ickky since -- in fact, it's been mostly a 100 shades darker and a 100 times more loaded with grass shreds, since. Remember that? :D
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

You wouldn't happen to have the coordinates for that 15 -20 foot hole would ya :roll:
lightchop

Post by lightchop »

Chalk, it wasn't a, "hole," just the bottom which could be seen everywhere out there, back then. That deep a bottom hasn't seen light in about 11 years and there ain't no grass out there, I betcha, although I've never seen bottom at that depth since '92 to tell if any grass is down there! I'm thinkin' that it was a weird, "anomaly" back then and it may take 20 years to see it again! :cry:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Just curious the deepest thing I have seen out there is 9', unless your out past the racks
lightchop

Post by lightchop »

Now, I'm curious about your statement that the deepest you've seen out there is 9', except if you're out past the racks. From the mouth of Ickky you have to travel at about a 30 deg. angle from the shore line,southeast, to get out to the racks which are around 7-8' deep, depending on the tide. What I'm talking about in '92 was going straight out the mouth of Ickky, perpendicular (90 deg.) to the coastal shore line there, until you get to around 15' of water, which is about 3/4 mile out around high tide. Back then for a while, the water was as clear as Wakulla Springs. I seem to recall the spot where we saw the 12' x 20' patch of grass (it looked different than turtle grass) was in a slight depression in a large patch of light tan sand, with turtle grass growing up to the edges of the sand patch , kinda like areas of spotty bottom. If you check my post about grass shreds, I think it was EJ who gave a link to some research site, or maybe I Googled, "Turtle Grass." Anyway, the research about turtle grass (the long, flat-leafed grass in our grass flats) said that turtle grass will grow to depths of 100', provided it gets sunlight, meaning, the water isn't, "turbid," meaning dark or stained, like we call it. The research was mostly referring to water made turbid by pollution. What we have making our waters turbid, now, is mostly bio-veggi-tannin soup washed from up-stream wetlands and then down our rivers with all this rainfall we've been having. But, not so fast, my friend; we also have varying degrees of pollution ourselves from our old stinky friend, the Fenholloway River, Florida's only industrial river (or it used to be) that flushes the Buckeye Cellulose plant's poop water out onto the grass flats just a little southeast of Rock Island and the prevaling current to the northwest takes that crud, you guessed it, to the Ickky area, and to the Aucilla area (usually not as bad as Ickky, because of the larger amount of spring water and the relatively larger volume of flow, than the Ickky). With all this rain we've had, the major part of the stained water is from the natural veggie soup flushed down by runoff water from the headwaters of our local streams with maybe to a lesser degree from the major spring-fed streams like the Wakulla, upper St. Marks and Spring Creek (which is the biggest, being something like 3-4 times the spring water volume of the Wakulla River). Isn't it just great for some smart-azz to take up so much of your time telling you this kinda crap, when all you want to do is catch some fish! I can't help myself, I've always been curious about the natural world and can't get enough info about it, even when some times it turns out not to be all that accurate. Enough!!! :roll: :sleep:
Last edited by lightchop on September 9th, 2003, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :thumbup: