Keaton - 9-11 & 9-12

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Chalk

Keaton - 9-11 & 9-12

Post by Chalk »

Myself & CSMarine hit the water Thursday afternoon about 5:00, headed over to Yates creek to see if Mr. redfish was home. No redfish but I caught a Jack Crevalle in the creek, never seen one that close in, it had a pretty gold color to it. Plenty of yellow bugs were there too. Eased on out to the flats to work the oyster bars, caught a 21" trout on topwater, we had some short strikes on topwater. Caught one more short near the channel, then headed back in about 9:00. 9-12 - Headed out about 6:30, it sure is nice to stay about 5 minutes from the landing. Stopped at the store to get some gas, ice (remember) and eats. Third boat to launch. Headed out to the channel to catch some pinfish. I couldn't get CSMarine to put out his pinfish trap :wink: (It sure is pretty). Headed out to the south birdrack. Water is clear, I couldn't believe it, CSMarine said it's normally clearer. CSMarine put the first trout in the boat with a CT with candy corn.... Remember the ice, (I) left the ice at the store, we made do with what we had.....We basically fished our arse off all day caught trout, sand trout, sand perch, lizard fish, puffer fish, lady fish, rock bass, bluefish, hard heads, sail cats, sand & bonnet head sharks (about 100 from 6" to 4')....Best producer for trout was topwater (lot of short strikes) , then cut bait, live pinfish and CT with grub. Best bite was around slack tide with no wind. End of the day tally was 8 trout, couple of rock bass, one blue fish in the cooler. Good day on the water with CSMarine & Mother Nature. :thumbup:
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Great report Chalk. Mines better though. :wink: We posted about the same time. :o See how honest we are, our reports actually match. :lol: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Semper Fi
lightchop

Post by lightchop »

Can't you guys agree on the same story? One says clear water, the other, dirty. One says dead calm, the other, 15 knots. One says caught only catfish for a while, the other, only sharks. One says came in early, the other says, stayed till after dark. One says had lots of motor trouble, other says it ran smooth and strong. One says used live bait, other says topwater plugs. One says switched to secret bait, other says, used grubs.
The only thing y'all agreed on, is that the other one is the worst fisherman in the world, cusses too much, can't run motor for a good drift, can't net a fish, can't catch bait, always leaves some important thing in the truck and is boring to ride with in the truck from Georgia and back and never, ever catches a redfish! Y'all need to do a fishing show, maybe called, "Dorf and Dork Try To Fish!" :thumbdown: :hammer: :x :lick: :evil:
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

:thumbup: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :wink:
Semper Fi
lightchop

Post by lightchop »

Woops! CSM, Chalk has taken it seriously, I guess! Or, has he gone back down there to put a little something down on a piece of land? Don't forget to tell him that if it's undeveloped and he starts to build anything, he'd best think of putting telephone poles for foundation, so he could have at least 6' clearance above ground level. 8' or 10' would be even better. Remember that 100 or 200 year jet stream event coming from out in the Gulf from around Texas that hit the Keaton Beach area a few years ago? The repete just might be suddenly shortened to 5-10 years and those storm surges are very bad if you're not up very high. Of course, there's no guarantee that the next one might be 50' of surge! Does he want to play the part of Dorf, or Dork? Didn't realize he was so sensitive! :wink: :lol:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

:-? :-? :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :lol:
lightchop

Post by lightchop »

Chalk,
See what happens when you drink so much beer -- ya head pounds something terrible.
I bet you're at your drafting table, detailing stuff into your pole house down there near Keaton Beach!
Plan on one room with small AC you can get at Lowes or Wally World for under $100. Look around for someone who wants to unload a not-to-old Honda generator that will take the load for the AC and a small frig. and TV.
Think about 9 to 16 poles somewhere around 32' long (10' from ground to floor, 10' for walls, and 1/3+ in the ground, or 12') Look around in cities that pull poles for some reason and will sell them cheap. Be sure to research the life expectancy for a creosote pole.
CMS says that with all your bad habits on the water, he still wants to fish with you! Especially, if you're going to have a high and dry place down there with AC, cold beer and TV! :lol:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Lightchop....You must not realize that CSM has a plantation down near Keaton now....That is high and dry, mobile, has AC and a frig that sounds like someone snoring :lol: :wink: .......Keep think'n I will hold out for a place on the water, after looking at the prices I don't think I can hold that long :lol: :lol: ......I prefer square posts over round poles anyway...plus code only allows for up to 48" anything above that has to be designed by a professional (which they did not define)....Never seen a camper with 18x44s on it :o :lol: .......Were still waiting on you to get your bateau running and show us that 20 foot grouper hole out of Econfina :lol: :lol:....By the way no more drafting table, all digital and I was a drawing, but not my house, a client in Thomasville......
lightchop

Post by lightchop »

Chalk,
Maybe someone is sleeping in the frig. Probably drinking y'all's beer, too! Square posts, even 8x8's are match-sticks compared to slightly-used telephone poles. Pressure treated wood won't hold a candle to creosote pressure treated T-poles. Biggest problem is hauling T-poles. They need to be cut to size before hauling (shorter). How many columns CSM got out front on his plantation? Is his kitchen separate from the main house in case it catches fire, so it won't burn everything down? How many 100,000's of acres he got in cotton? Got his own cotton gin on the place? I'd like to see it. Tell him to get some Mint Julip fixings and I'll come down and listen to him play Way Down Upon the Keaton Beach Channel on his banjo and sip a few Mint Julips.
What's 48" you mention? Don't think camper, think, camp!
You're not going to see a 20' grouper hole out from Ickky, ever! The water won't clear-up to see 10' bottom for at least 50 years! Besides, it was a 15' bluefish hole! How many :beer:'s you had this evening?
Yeah, I was just jesting wid ya -- I'm hip with CAD, just don't have any software at home -- have no use for it now that I'm retarded.
Youngest son is back from Connecticut and I'll get him to help me clean-up boat and fix wheel bearings (repack) and put-on new tires.
Let me know if y'all ever want buddy-boat company down there sometime. I really want to see it clear-up, too. :lol:
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Funny ya'll, I never hear that refrig. making that racket. :o My wife and grandson says they hear it too when were down there. It did quit working.
My 1 acre plantation is pure early Florida marsh rat in design. Got me a shrimp net to hang on the porch for shade. Oyster shell pillers, 36 inches high. Even in the 12' surge, this land was dry.
Semper Fi
lightchop

Post by lightchop »

Could it be that CMS is doing all that snoring? Says frig isn't working. Check to hear if snoring is still going-on. He might have ordered some of that, "NO MORE SNORE" spray ya see on TV.
Have y'all seen a LCL? I'm still looking for the Precision Tackle, Intruder (I think that's the name of it.) spoons that pull mostly straight without any wobble so they don't hang-up on oyster bars that much.
Although I'm interested in the LCL, I intend to abandon the old lead jig and grub thing. I got a better idea, I think, but don't have as much time using it as I'd like to have and it looks like I'll definitely prove it's a better way to go. I also want to perfect live bait techniques, that I've mostly avoided, so far. I'm mostly a catch-and-release fisherman, but I do like to take a few home for the skillet, grill, or sometime poaching in wine and herbs. :lick: