Kayak Tarpon Topwater

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Littoral

Kayak Tarpon Topwater

Post by Littoral »

Yup! Finally did it. I'd guess it went about 60 lbs and I had it on for about 15 minutes. Chug Bug with 20lb leader :o . It jumped at least 10 times and I lost it 5 minutes into trying to slowly paddle back to shore & get a pic off my friends cell phone. So, no pic. Oh well. I did get concerned about the possibility of the fish landing in the kayak because it kept coming back underneath, circling and jumping with the first bit of pressure. I had 5-6 more near misses from Tarpon chasing topwater and one 30 second hookup on another. Bait everywhere.
Otherwise I caught a bunch of other stuff but so what.

:lol:
Oh yeah, got checked by FMP for the first time in my kayak. :thumbup:

Adding this: replaying it over and over I'm realizing that the whole thing was like slow motion. I expected violence and mayhem when I imagined catching a Tarpon from my kayak but it was more like a great big fish slowly summoning up the energy to get up in the air for big lazy fall back into the water.
Last edited by Littoral on September 2nd, 2007, 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reel Slow
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Slow »

Congrats...I know that was a thrill! :thumbup:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Awesome :thumbup: :thumbup:
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

What body of water were you fishing?
AJ
Site Sponsor

Post by AJ »

Nice job Lit, stay after 'em :thumbup:
You gonna talk, or you gonna fish?
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

TallyFish wrote:What body of water were you fishing?
Alligator Harbor.
TallyFish

Post by TallyFish »

Nice job with the Tarpon. I fished Alligator Harbor yesterday in my yak from first light tiill noon and didn't see any Tarpon. What a difference a day makes. Way to go!
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

TallyFish wrote:Nice job with the Tarpon. I fished Alligator Harbor yesterday in my yak from first light tiill noon and didn't see any Tarpon. What a difference a day makes. Way to go!

Did you see a lot of bait? Stands to reason that's why I saw them today -though I didn't plan to fish for them. I've seen them a lot this summer but I've never seen them chasing bait (or lures!) as aggresively as they were today.
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

Congrats Lit. :thumbup: :thumbup:
"Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant?? I'm halfway through my fish burger and I realize, Oh man....I could be eating a slow learner."
snatch-n-reel
Site Sponsor

Post by snatch-n-reel »

Sweet :thumbup: :thumbup:
Let me get them Numbers!!!!!!!!
CATCH 22

Post by CATCH 22 »

Sweet, must of been a blast :thumbup:
You’ve reached middle age when all you exercise is caution.
Good Times

Post by Good Times »

That was a great trip. Thanks for sharing.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Suweet :thumbup:
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

I got stopped by "the man" yesterday and he was telling us about you. Not specifically, but "a feller in a kayak caught a 60lb tarpon." We must have been fishing in your area. I got a hold of something that ran line off of the spool like nobody's business, turned around, so I had to frantically take up slack, turned again, began to run line, and then broke off. I could only imagine what it was. No jumps so...
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

Congratulations, on the Tarpon. We were out there Saturday and got some great footage of Talltails with some shark fights. One took a good sweep at his arm. We started out looking for poons but didn't even see one greyhound. Caught some nice Reds too.