Keaton 9/27/03

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

manley
Site Sponsor

Keaton 9/27/03

Post by manley »

Arrived at the marina at 9:00 to L O N G line... atleast 15-20 waiting to get in the water as a result of the public ramp closure for paving of parking area. Decided to use the marina's ramp-no wait to get in.
Went north to Adams Beach, started fishing about 9:30, tide going out and nice light breeze from off of land. Fished 4-6 feet until tide went slack and wind stopped about 10:30... had an extended visit from tmitbs, but never hooked up, unfortunately. Someone will have to give me some tips. Caught numerous small sharks (lost count), probably 2 limits or more of short trout, but only put one keeper in the box.

Finally, some water started coming in about noon, moved south of Keaton Channel, fished 6-7 feet, nothing doing at all except short trout, although the water started looking better. By about 1:00, tide was ripping pretty good, went to 9-mile bank, first cast yielded a nice 15" flounder, second cast an 18" trout, third cast a breakoff-above the CT cork . Fourth through 2,000th cast-notta.

30 minutes later-two keeper cobia 3 feet long or so-under the boat-OH CRAP---Where's my rod-cast to them repeatedly with pinfish-nothing doing. End of excitement-lots of cutoffs, short blues around the bank. Tide ripping real hard, and cruising across the sand bar-a slob-chased and lost him-never cast to him

Finally moseyed back up toward piney point and Hagen's cove-first cast was a 17" trout-third cast was a 16" trout-then they turned off again. About 3:00 by this time, so headed back for the ramp. Final tally for the day was 4 nice trout to 18", 15" flounder, lots of small sharks, sail cats, snot cats, and short blues all over the place. Good day on the water with my Dad!

Water around Adams Beach/Yates Creek/Spring Warrior is strong green tea. Water south looks better the further south we went, and looked very goot at 9-mile bank. Water temp stayed around 80 all day. Go north for more fish, south for cleaner water.

Ya'll catchemup!

PS: If that sounds like a lot of cobia, it's because I had the IV drip deployed all day.
dewyafish

Post by dewyafish »

Thanks for the report.

It's ALMOST time!!! :wink:
It's a small world, unless you had to paint it.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Good report Scott. Sounds like Ya'll had to do a bunch of running. Figured it would be a long wait at the lift. My brother-in-law got there at 6:30am. There was folks waiting in line already. :evil:
Semper Fi
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Good report Scott. Come on ramp, open back up.
JimR
Site Sponsor

Post by JimR »

We hit Keaton this weekend as well. Met my BIL there at 6:10am. He was first in line. By 6:30 there were about 6-8 behind us I think. Headed south to the first birdrack, fished in 4-6 ft of water. Caught a couple keeper trout and got into a school of small blues about 11-12 inches long. For the next two hours my BIL and I traded duties boating and releasing blues and an occassional jack for my wife and his son. What a blast seeing them catch a lot of fish. Wind died about noon and the bite stopped. Total for the day 8 keeper trout to 19.5inches, 4 keeper blues, 6 keeper sea bass and a lotta fun watching those two catch fish :D Back at the marina by 1:00, wait wasn't bad at all but the trailors were parked all the way to the boat rampm road. Glad we pulled out early :o
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Those blue fish can certainly brighten up a slow day. :thumbup:

I love catching them, but then I enjoy catching large sailcats, I think they are a fine fighting fish. :thumbup: