St. Marks 10-10

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BIG
Site Sponsor

St. Marks 10-10

Post by BIG »

After being an avid fan of this site for the last 6 months, I feel obligated to share my few and far between fishing experiences with a group of people that I have learned so much from. Fishing in the big bend is definitely a different animal and I thank ya'll for this forum.

Equipment
258V Stratos Boat - 70 HP

Road and Reels - Cheap Cyclone reel and 9 foot rod bought from Kmart with 20lb XT line and Okuma reel and 9 foot rod bought from West Marine with the original 10lb test.

Bait - 2 dozen shrimp

Fishing Style - Bottom Fishing

Fishing Depth - 6 to 8 feet

Conditions - Overcast, water clarity - barely saw bottom in 2', very light grass floating

Let the Fort 7:15 AM. I was the third boat to leave on what looked to be a very dreary rainy day. Attempted to get to Stoney Bayou but the low tide at 8:55 am didn't cooperate. Since I have only been out in St. Marks 4 times, I was very cautious about going east out of the channel. So I was going very slow. I ended up somewhere around 1/2 mile south of Black Rock. There is a free standing pole in the water.

Attempted to drop anchor, but my deck mate was an out of town novice and since I wasn't confident in the spot, we let the anchor slow down our drift. We drifted west, it appeared the bird rack was still slightly south of us.

My partner continued to get hits, mostly pin fish type. I didn't mind because I wanted to catch some and take them to the bird rack and see what would hit it. Suddenly (9AM), I feel something tugging ever so slightly and I start reeling but it didn't cooperate. I loosened the drag because I have lost more fish in North Florida than I care to share. Let him run, reeled, run again, and finally brought it to the boat. My partner got the net and he scooped a 25 inch pompano. Wow. That was fun! I am using the Kmart pole.

Shortyly after the same thing happens again, except the drag was too tight and I loosened it and the open face reel spooled and the line got tangled. I felt it finally get off and I am pissed.

My partner is feeding pin fish and changing tackle every 5 minutes because the 10lb factory test line is breaking very oftern.

Not feeling up to par because of sinus pain, I am half-hearted fishing and once again, a nice tug and I begin to reel. It spools again, but it is tangled at the spool and I continue to try to wind it, but the handle breaks and I try to pull the line in by hand. No luck. I feel the fish come off and I am very upset.

My partner is pissed because his 10lb test continues to break. We call it a day about 10 AM. It begins to drizzle and we make our jaunt back to the Fort. 35 mph and the rain slapping you in the face is no fun.

Totals for the day:

1 nice pompano
3 grunts
1 lizard fish

We probably fished less than 1 hr, but kept having activity. After we got back to Tallahassee, I went to Oshman's and bought a Shimano bait cast reel along with Shakespere Intrepid 3000. Once I start fishing more I will upgrade my equipment. But it is definitely an upgrade from what I had. The moral of my report is: You get what you pay for and it is nothing worse and embarrasing than having equipment that doesn't work when you need it.

But I am hooked and looked forward to going out again with the proper equiment!
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Welcome Big :beer: Not a bad report for the first one :thumbup: While ya lost a lot of fish :( ya did get a lot of action :D I shure wish I could get a Pomp ta hit my rig, but I've never fished for them and just can't quite figure them out :oops: Have a goodun :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Welcome aboard Big. Great report with lots of good detail. Thanks. :thumbup:
Semper Fi
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Great job BIG,

don't be a reluctant reporter, your style and content are right on the money! :thumbup: As far as your gear.... I would'nt be to quick to change..... there was a bunch of high grade stuff in use out there on Saturday and WE :oops: didn't do as good as you did... :D Thanks again for the report.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
BIG
Site Sponsor

Post by BIG »

Thanks for the encouragement. I was hoping that someone would read the report and tell me the best way to get to the rock garden area considering the shallowness. I am not sure of the draft of my boat but I tend to get nervous when the depth finder goes under 2 ft. I can't find the information in my manual.

Also, is there a name for the free standing pole that is south of black rock?
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

Welcome aboard Big!

I think that we call the free standing poles out there part of the stake line. Maybe other members will correct me. There are a line of stakes from the bird rack(roughly the mouth of the St. Marks) that extend for a number of miles east to the mouth of the Aucilla River. Helps to give you some bearing points for where you are. I can't give you much help on the rock garden, I have only ventured in there a few times with a 16" draft. TK and others can help you out there. Beware Death Rock! 30.03.99 84.07.60, roughly. Exact coordinates are in a post in here somewhere from a couple of months ago from a forum member who knows death rock intimately.
for petes sake
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Nice report BIG, good choice on the Shimano reel. :thumbup: :wink: