Converting Loran #'s to GPS format

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

PinFishKing
Site Sponsor

Converting Loran #'s to GPS format

Post by PinFishKing »

I know the most accurate way is to go to the spot marked by the Loran and physically mark it on the GPS machine, but does anyone know of a good conversion program or mathmatical equation available to convert Loran #'s to GPS numbers?
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

To convert "TD,s to Lat/Lon", most people seem to use POSAID.
This is the website they are referred to; http://www.rdc.uscg.gov/rdcpages/soft-posaid2.html

This is a common question asked on other Forums and this is the common answer given. :thumbup:

I hope this helps, or that someone who knows what they are talking about responds. :D
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

PinFishKing, did you get any help from that site ?

Have you sorted out your problem ?
PinFishKing
Site Sponsor

Post by PinFishKing »

I played with it for a little while. I have not spent a lot of time on it yet. Thanks for checking, I will keep you posted. I will be at Econfina Friday night. We are planning on going off shore, but the forecast looks pretty bad.
Ray Pierce

Post by Ray Pierce »

PinFishKing,
I hope you get a good answer for all of us on this issue. My best fishing budding uses Loran while I attempt to use GPS. While he has given me conversions numbers for GPS, they tend to be off by as much as 150'. So, what we have been doing is taking out both boats and when we get to the correct spot, I program in my GPS and he programs his Loran. This may not be the easiest way to do it, but it sure works.