Econfina 10-25-03

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rcdclc

Econfina 10-25-03

Post by rcdclc »

Headed out of Econ. in 16.5' Pro-Crappey Tracker on low tide just after daylight. Reeaall slow. Tried candy corn under CT a couple miles out of mouth with no luck. Headed north to cobb rocks, (for first time-some site at low tide)--still no luck. About noon headed south out to 8' till we found some lumpy bottom. Droped anchor, put on some cut bait and the bite was on. First fish was a ???, broke off while pumping boils around the boat. Had warned my fishing partner about changing line once every 10 years. He lost three other hard pulls before putting a 4 lb very pissed off blue fish in the boat. Decided I'd better try some of that cut-bait bottom fishing myself. Hooked up quick but fish bull-dogged into the rocks and hung me. Layed the rod down and in ten min. tried him again and horsed him in. Was a 22" Grouper. Hooked up again with heaver fish that again hung up. Had to break him off. Picked up some large black sea bass, and couple grunts.

Went back Sunday morning loaded for bear. (Partner had made bee-line to K-mart in Perry for LARGE surf rig). Got on top of our spot early and- and-and what the #!%&^*!---found 2-4 feet of water with Xmas tree grass all over. Caught one good sea bass and some cats. Seas grew steadly roughfer so we had to call it a day.

We just started fishing Big Ben area last September and have only been a half dozen times but have enjoyed every one. Well, maby cept the time we pulled poontoon boat down from Albany Ga. and it wouldn't crank and had to leave it with Jacks in Perry for a $400 fix. (spark plugs)+++

Anyway it looks like I'm in good company with the folks I see posting regularly. This is my first post so I'll start trying to keep ya posted on just how good us Ga. boy's can set a hook. Course I'll first have to put some new line on my partners reels for him but we'll get ther.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Welcome aboard rcd :beer: Nice report and sounds like it will be even better next time :thumbup: I gotta find me some of them Groupa in 8 foot of water around this end of the Bend :D
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Great post rcd. Still can't imagine Grouper in eight foot! Eight foot at Keaton all you have is sand and grass flats. I fished out of a 16' panfisher some on the flats a few years back. I was surprised how well it did.
Semper Fi