Calcutta (Not the Black Hole, of)

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

lightchop

Calcutta (Not the Black Hole, of)

Post by lightchop »

Hep me, hep me!
I need a recommendation for a Calcutta TE! Any body got one, or a Calcutta 400 they could comment on. I’d like to use one for about 14 pound mono (or 25 pound braid, a 2nd choice).
So I’m thinking in terms of:
1. CTE-200GT;
2. CTE -300; these 2 are 5:1; or
3. CT400; at 4.7:1.
AND, I’d like to hear about a rod combo, if anybody’s got one.
If any of these workout so that the smoothness of these Daiwas are even close to the thrill of hottie sex, I just might get another one or two of them (can’t get enough of a good thing!).
I know there will be lots of responses, even for those who have to make-up stuff! And there’s been something said to aggravate certain die-hard brand-name fanatics!
Any takers?
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

The cajun thunder corks do cause some line twist. Try them, if they twist your line go back to plastic type bobbers.........oh, excuse me LC. I forgot your talking about rod and reels. :wink: Don't matter anyway. I made up all that stuff about the plactic bobbers. :thumbup: Thought Calcutta was made by Shimano not Daiwa.
Last edited by CSMarine on November 4th, 2003, 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fi
Chalk

Re: Calcutta (Not the Black Hole, of)

Post by Chalk »

lightchop wrote:I know there will be lots of responses, even for those who have to make-up stuff!
Spoken by a true champion of champions..........You know I'm getting old not quite there yet, but didn't we have a lengthy discussion on how Shimano's sux awhile back :roll:

lightchop

Post by lightchop »

Calcuttas, made by Shimano? Must be a misprint, or a joke from the Okuma rice merchants to drive home the point that they make BOAF-em!
And, that not so old, yet, contributor is really good with PhotoShop, eh? He’s sometimes, “dis-ca-bubulated,â€
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Riddler, go to basspro.com or cabelas.com and do a search on calcuttas......A Shimano reel.......Nice to know your lurking on the FS site again......No, I can cannot comment on the performance of the reels, too rich for my blood........
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

LC, Calcutta reels are still on my "dream list." Reels I'd love to have, but can't afford. ( $329. starting price) I do see them a lot on fishing shows on TV. Must be pretty decent reels. Seems like a lot of "Pros" use them.
Semper Fi
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

I've got a 250 and it is the smoothest reel I've ever owned. Because of that it takes some getting used to when throwing. I had to mess with the braking for a while before I got it right.

They are tough as nails. I have caught trout, reds, spanish, kings, cudas, snapper and grouper on it.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

lightchop

Post by lightchop »

Thanks, All,
I've heard nothing, but good things about these reels, and need to up-grade my inshore baitcasters (5 ABU's) and have eyed the Calcuttas for some time, but never picked-up on any specific claims on the new TE's. This will be a first for me in the big $$$ baitcasters for grass flats fishing.
I can't say more, or respond to anything in a, "tongue-in-cheek" way, because, a little birdie, has said there are some who take personal offense to my jest, and have serious problems with my rhetoric. Sorry!
Thanks, again!
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

I,ve used other peoples Calcuttas and been quite impressed.
However, I also like Abu baitcaster/multiplier reels and can,t be certain that the Calcutta performed any better.
Apart from a TLD30, my baitcasters are Abu. :thumbup:

Being a pensioner, I can,t afford a Calcutta. :cry:
lightchop

Post by lightchop »

I'll let you know how exquisite a CTE-200GT really is. I'll also make sure you understand that I'm not trying to make you feel like someone not worthy to fish the ultimate multiplier of the Universe! The big fish I catch on a regular basis, will certainly appreciate the magnificent smoothness that those 10 ball bearings and 1 roller bearing imparts to the line as I, so very delicately, reel-in their 10+ pound bodies of gleaming silver and gold with black spotted markings and gently pluck the hook from their golden mouths -- anyway, do not consider my rhetoric to be a personal attack on your impoverished state of finances -- one that, I too, shared until I started to take advantage of all the free things on the internet! I swear, I meant no personal attacks on anyone -- really! Nothing, nonsensical, meant, either! I just want to be a, "Smooth Operator!" -- me and my Calcutta! No roughness, here, ever!
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Is this the man that said shiny reels don,t catch fish ?
Only good fishermen catch fish. :wink:

lightchop, you ain,t got any Favicon to spare, have you ? :o
lightchop

Post by lightchop »

I never once mentioned the external features of my Calcutta! Pay attention! It was SMOOTHNESS! Ever looked at SMOOTHNESS!
You trying to get me in trouble with TK, again! I'm warning you, I will absolutely not make a personal attack on you! You have already made a f*ol of yourself over Favicon! I can't believe you still don't get it with Fishbites! Only the faithfull will ever see or understand Fishbites or Favicon! Enough, before I become nonsensical!