grouper closure

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

beckingh

grouper closure

Post by beckingh »

For some reason I have it in my head that grouper season is closed from Feb 15 to Mar 15. But I see no signs of it on the standard fishing regulations summary. Please tell me I'm off base, I want to go out this weekend!

Thanks
Chris
Reel Cowboy
Site Sponsor

Re: grouper closure

Post by Reel Cowboy »

It is closed in Federal waters (9 miles +) from 2-15 through 3-15

http://www.gulfcouncil.org/Beta/GMFMCWe ... losure.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the words of the great Doc Holliday, "I'll be your huckleberry"
beckingh

Post by beckingh »

Thank you.
Good Times

Post by Good Times »

:cry:
RD
Site Sponsor

Post by RD »

Reel Cowboy wrote:It is closed in Federal waters (9 miles +) from 2-15 through 3-15

http://www.gulfcouncil.org/Beta/GMFMCWe ... losure.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Florida Department of Agriculture
Bureau of Seafood & Aquaculture Marketing
balthrp@doacs.state.fl.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FLORIDA SEAFOOD SEASON ADVISORY

NOAA’s National Marine Fisheries Service has announced the closure of the red, gag and black grouper fishery in Gulf of Mexico federal waters from Feb. 15 through March 14, 2008. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission has announced the same grouper fishery closure in state waters.
The commercial harvesting of greater amberjack is prohibited from March 1 through May 31, 2008.
Federal Gulf of Mexico waters extend beyond 9 nautical miles offshore Florida and state waters are inside the 9 nautical mile line.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Benjamin Franklin 1759
CATCH 22

Post by CATCH 22 »

Say it aint so :bang_1 I finally get a new GPS, spend two days loading the old numbers,get the seals replaced on my foot and was really looking foward to a day wettin a hook and now yer tellin me i gotta wait another month. THIS SUCKS :smt013 :smt089
You’ve reached middle age when all you exercise is caution.
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Grouper fishing (red, gag, and black) on the Gulf of Mexico is closed to recreational anglers and commercial fishermen in federal waters during February 15 to March 15. However, grouper fishing will remain open in state waters during this time for recreational anglers only. Federal regulations apply in federal waters which extend beyond 9 nautical miles from the shore in the Gulf of Mexico and beyond 3 nautical miles from the shore in the Atlantic. For federal regulations, please visit http://www.gulfcouncil.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the Gulf of Mexico and http://www.safmc.net/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the Atlantic.
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Thw whole area north of the red line is still open for grouper, and I assure you there are some there..... :lol:

Dubble :thumbup:

The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Seachaser

Post by Seachaser »

How do they know where the grouper came from and how do you if it is right at the red line? Not a smart remark, just want to know.
RD
Site Sponsor

Post by RD »

Seachaser wrote:How do they know where the grouper came from and how do you if it is right at the red line? Not a smart remark, just want to know.
Better not go outside the line with fish on board.The "Red line" is a black line on your GPS CHART MAP

I just checked FWC's web site,most everything is out of date but everything points to it being open in State waters,The Dept of AG must have bad info .

Just got the latest as of yesterday from the FWC.

For immediate release: February 12, 2008

Gulf grouper closures

The recreational and commercial harvest of red, gag and black grouper in Gulf of Mexico federal waters is prohibited from Feb. 15 until March 15. Federal waters extend beyond 9 nautical miles offshore of Florida in the Gulf.

The commercial harvest of red, gag and black grouper in Gulf state waters inside the 9-nautical-mile line is also prohibited during this period.

However, the recreational harvest of red, gag and black grouper is still allowed in Gulf state waters under existing Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission bag and size limit regulations.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.
Benjamin Franklin 1759
CATCH 22

Post by CATCH 22 »

Whew :thumbup:
You’ve reached middle age when all you exercise is caution.