Trolling Stretches

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Once Bitten
Site Sponsor

Trolling Stretches

Post by Once Bitten »

Do you generally use a wire leader when trolling the Stretch 25's and 30's?? I usually dont, but lost 2 lures today.
Oh, and if anybody finds a Penn Longbeach with a Penn 330 with a silver Stretch 30 attached somewhere near the Wakulla OAR reef. It's mine. Dang thig jumped right out of the boat.

Thanks,
LiveLine

Post by LiveLine »

I use wire leader on all my stretches, too much of a chance for a kingfish to cut you off.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

In the summer and fall I normally do. In the winter and spring I don't.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

dstockwell

Re: Trolling Stretches

Post by dstockwell »

Once Bitten wrote:Oh, and if anybody finds a Penn Longbeach with a Penn 330 with a silver Stretch 30 attached somewhere near the Wakulla OAR reef. It's mine. Dang thig jumped right out of the boat. Thanks,
:o OUCH, thats gotta hurt.
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

What would be a good rod and reel for trolling Stretch 25s? Capt. Roy recommends Senator with a 2:1 retrieve. I'm wondering if a TLD 15 would work ok with 25-30 lb line.
Ken
d-tox
Site Sponsor

Post by d-tox »

I tried a pair of TLD15s, but one of them developed a problem and I moved to TLD20s. Great reels with almost as fast a retrieve. Plus they will handle BIG fish. The 15s are a little small for big grouper.
When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats. - Claude Swanson, F.D.R.'s Secretary of the Navy
EddieJoe

Post by EddieJoe »

I have a tld 15 and a 20, use both for trolling. 15 is plenty of reel for trolling here, lighter than the 20. The 20 has lots more line capacity, but who needs that, here, unless you are going way offshore for wahoo, or something.

Any reel will work, but a lever drag is more convenient for trolling.

EJ