Spring 2004 Kayak Flotilla

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ken K
Site Sponsor

Spring 2004 Kayak Flotilla

Post by Ken K »

Who wants to go? Chalk, Littoral........? :thumbup:

Any weekend after April 15 is good for me. :thumbup:
Ken
dallncham

Post by dallncham »

Hey,
I'm a newbie here, just found this site. It seems pretty interesting here. I spent a little time reading some of the old posts and have picked up a quite a bit of usefull information. I bought a Pungo kayak a while ago and enjoy it immensly (did I spell that right?). I have been going to Wakulla Beach and mostly St. George. Haven't been lately though, too cold, windy, busy or whatever. I used to run a bait and tackle store on St. George many years ago before I "grew up" and moved to town to find a respectable career (ha,ha). Didn't realize how good I had it. I got to talk to all the tourists to find out what was biting where, then all I had to do was grab the rod and go.
I would be interested in a kayak flotilla. It would give me a chance to put a face to some names. That is if you guys don't mind a newbie tagging along. :D
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

Welcome aboard dallncham.

If Chalk or Littoral don't show up you are in charge of leading the way. :D
Ken
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I have somewhat of a kayak. But I think I'm too old and worn out to paddle. Would someone be willing to pull me around? :o
What was I supposed to do today?
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

Tin Can, as much as you have been digging you ought to have your arms built up to where you could pull a water skier behind a kayak. I think you ought tow me! :wink:
Ken
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

WELLLLLL, there ya go thinkin again. :wink:
What was I supposed to do today?
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Welcome aboard dallncham.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

April sounds good, I hope to have my yak and caught a few fish in it by then.
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

First thought, just to put it out there, I haven’t met many people that I want to fish with. That sounds really anti-social but the chances I get to go are few and they’re near sacred to me. If I want to bait and duck hooks that’s a different trip, and one of my favorites, but that’s not fishing.
My guess is you all understand where I’m coming from here. I don’t go fishing to talk about politics or football, and I’m a junkie for both. I have no place for alcohol on the water, and I do like to drink.
I’m there to fish.

Sorry, sounds like a freaking dating service bio.

A yak flotilla would be completely different. We’d all be able to fish “togetherâ€
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Littoral wrote: Sorry, sounds like a freaking dating service bio.
I always call going out with a forum members, a blind date, so far I have had 4 blind dates from this forum. All went well, though some never call :roll: :lol: I have learned something each trip. I have found that most of us are alot alike, full of pooh and love to fish :wink: :lol:

Speaking of yaking in the cold, I read a good safety tip yesterday. Whether you are in a SOT or SIK, always be prepared to swim. Have the appropriate clothing on in case you do take a dip and have spare clothing. The article said most kayaking accidents are a result of hypothermia not drowning.
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

When you put it that way Littoral, It does sound like it would be more fun to go alone.
Ken
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Ken, Sorry if I offended you. I said I sounded anti-social, I'm not.
I certainly wasn't trying to piss on the flotilla idea.
My point was that I thought a kayak flotilla was a great idea, for a lot of reasons. I guessed that everybody would understand where I was coming from about deciding who we fish with.

Chalk, safety stuff is critical. I carry a change of clothes in a 2.5 gallon bag. It stays in the boat.
I just came up with a plan for a simple & cheap homemade spray skirt ($10). I'm going to try to make it over the holidays. I'd pack it in the boat all the time too. I'd feel a lot better with a skirt on board. I got caught once with 4-5 footers breaking over the boat and barely made it back.
GoneGator
Site Sponsor

Post by GoneGator »

sprayskirts and kayak assesories, try http://www.outdoorplay.com

We bought two kayaks from them, it was cheaper than the cheapest place we found in Atlanta, shipping was free and no sales tax, worth a look
dallncham

Post by dallncham »

Thanks for the welcome! I am hip to a flotilla, be it fishing, or just paddling. I enjoy being on the H2O.

For the skirt, may also want to check out REI. They also have really good prices. I bought a half skirt from them. It does make a big difference on staying dry. Another advantage is it makes a good platform for holding tackle or whatever. I'll have to take a look at outdoorplay. I am a junkie when looking at accessories.

Al