THE WEATHER OUTWEIGHED THE FISH

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CAPTAIN CHARLIE
Site Sponsor

THE WEATHER OUTWEIGHED THE FISH

Post by CAPTAIN CHARLIE »

For most of the weekemd, which was three days for me I thought I was down in the islands instead of Oyster Bay. Slight breezes, warm sun and cold beer. The flat water at night made floundering real nice, but didn't see any. I spent a lot of time on the cell phone calling friends and family up north describing my attire. Cutoffs and no shirt, cold beer and big cigar. Couldn't ask for anything better.

Only caught one keeper red, but rejuvinated my sun tan.

While I have your attention, anyone know of a program that will alow me to burn JPG files to a CD to be pl;ayed on my DVD player to view family pictures? Let me know...thanks
FLAT BROKE CHARTERS (RETIRED)
VERY AFFORDABLE FLATS FISHING
U.S.C.G. MASTERS LISC. AUX. SAIL
850 893-1050 cell 212-0660
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

Charlie, it was a beautiful few days.

For your CD/DVD burning - if you did not get a program like Roxio with your burner, you can try this freeware:

http://www.mywebattack.com/gnomeapp.php?id=107386
for petes sake
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Not sure you can burn JPG files to a CD to be played on a DVD player. Unless its a CD/DVD combo drive.
Cranfield
Site Sponsor

Post by Cranfield »

Most DVD players will play CD,s, :thumbup:
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

Tried it this morning using Roxio to burn the Jpeg image. It would not display on my HDTV. I probably did something wrong.

You can poke around my favorite Geek site at
http://www.lockergnome.com
they have a whole section dedicated to A/V on the PC and Unix platforms.
for petes sake
CAPTAIN CHARLIE
Site Sponsor

JPGs on the DVD

Post by CAPTAIN CHARLIE »

I spoke with JVC today and they said this model won't play JPGs..
I can get a SONY OR PANASONIC..around 80.00

Some do and some don't...

Thanks guys,

Charlie
FLAT BROKE CHARTERS (RETIRED)
VERY AFFORDABLE FLATS FISHING
U.S.C.G. MASTERS LISC. AUX. SAIL
850 893-1050 cell 212-0660
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

I purchased a TDK CDR drive about a year ago. The drive came with NERO software. Nero will burn jpeg immages to a CD that will work in my Magnavox DVD player. The downside is you have no control over the viewing. It presents the images in a slide show. You can't stop at a particular image, or select what image you want to look at. Or maybe I don't know how to control the images. :o
What was I supposed to do today?
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

Charlie, here is exactly what you will need. $39.95 Check out the demo.

http://www.dvdxcopy.com/show.asp?a=7110 ... =Ludington
for petes sake
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

The skinny on DVDX courtesy of Jake Ludington's Digital Lifestyle. Urge you to get on his newsletter if this kind of stuff interests you.

Probably belongs in off topic by now so please pardon me.

321 Studios is renowned for its DVD archiving software DVD X Copy. Recently, they've taken their DVD burning technology and applied a creative spin. DVD X Show, designed to make DVD movies out of photo slide shows, is the 8mm film to the Microsoft Photo Story slide projector. Similar to Photo Story, DVD X Show allows you to import a series of pictures, apply pan and zoom effects, insert transitions between photos, and add a soundtrack. DVD X Show takes the photo movie concept to a whole new level by adding numerous customization features and allowing you to burn your "slideshow" to DVD.
Creating Slideshows
Importing photos is as simple as opening the folder on your hard drive. Photos may be reorganized after import, with the option to mass apply settings to all photos, with individual settings overriding the default where specified. Enough transitions are included to make a very polished looking presentation. Ken Burns-style pan and zoom is a stock effect that may be applied on mass to all pictures. I particularly like the ability to make slideshow customizations in one app, rather than needing to create it once and add features in an external video editor later.
Audio tracks may be imported directly from CD or from a file. No built-in narration tool is included with this application, but there's no reason you couldn't narrate into an audio editing app while previewing the slideshow (which would probably result in a more polished narration).
Distribution
The obvious attraction for DVD X Show is the ability to create slideshow movies and burn them to DVD. Newer DVD players support DVD-R media, making this a viable way to send photos to grandma. If you happen to have some material inappropriate for children in the presentation, the movie can be given a rating recognizable by the parental controls on the DVD player. If you lack a DVD burner, the app also burns to CD.
Movies can also be sent via e-mail, with compression that shrinks the size to a manageable level. Compression is adjustable separately for both audio and imaging, allowing for a better overall presentation. Settings may be tweaked based on a maximum mail size, in order to keep your ISP happy.
A third option to create screensavers from the movies is intriguing for either redistribution to others or for personal use on your own machine.
Image Editing
While DVD X Show won't replace Photoshop, it does include tools for making color corrections, which work automagically. Photo rotation tools let you adjust a picture from landscape to portrait view, as well as crop a picture to improve the aspect ratio. This feature is a timesaver because you won't need to rotate photos in another app before importing them.
Conclusion
If you needed only one reason to download this app, consider the ability to create DVD photo slideshows your invitation. Unlike other solutions, DVD X Show creates the slideshow and burns it from within one convenient interface. Sending via e-mail is a cool feature too, although I much prefer hosting files on a server over clogging someone's inbox. The pan and zoom manipulations take a little practice, if you want them to be targeted, but your patience will be well worth the final presentation. Compression keeps file sizes at a respectable level. For more comprehensive DVD movie creation, DVD X Maker is also worth consideration.
for petes sake