st. Marks 1/24 inshore/offshore

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dbplug
Site Sponsor

st. Marks 1/24 inshore/offshore

Post by dbplug »

Left the fort at about 9:00. Water was so flat and wind negligible I decided to take my first ever trip offshore. Seas were less than one foot, glassy in spots. Went to ballard reef and I belive it does not exist. Bottom machine showed no structure around. Maybe I was off. No bites there. Went south of 24. Caught one 16" flounder on a Squid tipped green jig. Depth 41 feet, water temp 54-55. Left the area around 2:30.

Headed to the east flats, water temp was 58 in 6 feet. One trout at 18" on a free lined live shrimp. Tried around bouy 23 in the river. No luck. Back at the fort at 4:45.

Other folks said they had no luck in the river or on the flats.

A really beatiful day. Maybe next time I will get a grouper.
for petes sake
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Did you try trolling any? I went out close to bouy 26 and trolled for 3 1/2 hours and caught 5 Grouper "only 1 keeper" and 2 nice Black Bass on a Strech 30 :lick:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

WTG DB... :thumbup: ..beat digging trees up :roll: :lol:
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

Wevans, I tried trolling a little with squid and ly's. Used the trolling motor because it was so calm. We drifted some as well, but very slowly.

I am completely unfamiliar with grouper fishing. Not sure I had the right weight, leader, speed, etc. The ly's came back with what looked like crab manglings?

Not sure I had the LY's hooked properly or the right size circle hooks.

I need a grouper fishing 101. Maybe I can hit you guys up for some rigging/speed/tactics at the BBF social at Newport.(will trade advice with some of my world famous chili!) But any info to ponder for now would be great.
for petes sake
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

That can probably be arranged.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

wtg guys.. :thumbup:
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I've never trolled anything other than the strech 25 or 30, usually at between 3.5 and 4.5 MPH :D You can find a lot of good fishin spots that way also :thumbup:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Still good day on the water db. :thumbup: With that dang trolling motor of yours, you probably was trolling at 3.5 to 4.5 mph. :o
Semper Fi
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

dbplug wrote: the right size circle hooks
:thumbdown: :wink: ...IF you like to set the hook don't use them....Just ask me :roll: