Fellow Boaters and Fishermen: Need Help With a New Project

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tom Keels
Site Admin

Fellow Boaters and Fishermen: Need Help With a New Project

Post by Tom Keels »

I am starting to compile a database of the area ramps. This database will include pictures of the facilities, locations(including directions), a list of the facilities(fish cleaning station, docks, bathrooms, etc.), parking capacity, ramp/canal depth, ramp condition/material/steepness, number of ramp lanes, and an overall rating from 1 to 5 with 1 being dirt ramp with no facilities(horse trail to the water), to 5 being a 3 lane concrete ramp with 30 foot docks, bathrooms, washdown, etc (basically the nicest ramp you can imagine.)

This will take me a very long time to do myself, but since a lot of us use different ramps, we could speed up the process by spreading the work around. I especially need help from the folks who fish down towards Keaton and Steinhatchee, since I don't fish down there.

What I'll do is put up a web form for folks to fill out the different aspects of the ramps listed above and submit them. Then if you guys who have digital cameras can take some nice high res shots (5-6 should do) of the place, I will add them to the page.

What do you guy's think? I think this will be invaluable to those new folks and visitors to the area who might not know the best place to launch their boat.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

I think that is a great idea Tom. I'm not down that way often but I will certainly take some digital pics if I get the opportunity.
Ken
krovbo

Boat Ramp Database

Post by krovbo »

Great idea. About a month ago I posted a note about the marina and boat ramp situation in East Franklin county, and the potential impact on the Visioning Plan process underway. The initial work I did has now been expanded by the Franklin County PLanning and Zoning board to include the rest of the county. My effort was not as comprehensive as you have outlined - just pictures, comments on condition, parking and fees.

FSU has now assigned staff to consolidate input into the visioning plan and I am sure they would welcome your assistance. This input will be incorporated into the Franklin County Comp Plan which becomes a legal document guiding zoning (including any marine facitities) for the next ten years.

The situation in Franklin is fast becoming critical with potential for over 800 additional homes currently on the drawing board and no additional ramps or marinas. I asked for help at the May 20th meeting, but none was forth coming and during the meeting several people ask for police patrol to prevent trailer parking on private property at Lanark (my favorite ramp) and Alligator Point.

Your request is very timely and I urge everyone to help in determining our present situation. Incidentaly, the same Comp Plan process is under way in Wakulla county.

Ken[/b]
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Great Idea. I can help you with Warrior, Yates, Keaton, and Hagans Cove.
Semper Fi
seatrout99
Site Sponsor

Post by seatrout99 »

Tom,

I'll try to help out. :thumbup: :thumbup:

ST99
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Great guys. Until I have the webform up, if you want to take the pictures and just send me an email of the specs for the ramp I'll start putting them together.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Blue Dolphin
Site Sponsor

Post by Blue Dolphin »

Tom......one for the guys on the FS board did a boat ramp report for the Yankeetown area I think he went as far north to Keaton and as far south to Crystal river........if you want the link I will send it to you by e-mail
Tight Lines @ Screaming Reels
eric

Post by eric »

How is the project comming?
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

It has been put on hold until I finish the site redesign. If I ever slow down at work, I'll get back to it.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Wil
Dive Boards Moderator

Post by Wil »

If I ever slow down at work, I'll get back to it.
sigh...