Peeling Paint

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tailspotspotter
Site Sponsor

Peeling Paint

Post by Tailspotspotter »

Hello all, this is my first time asking a question on this site. I visit all the time and would like to thank Tom for giving the fisherman of the area a great place to teach and learn about our wonderful fisheries. Now to my question, I have a 2003 25hp Johnson and have been experiencing excessive paint peeling. I wash down boat, motor and trailer after every return, I even fish out of Spring Creek alot which has very low salinity, but it does not seem to help. Any suggestions?
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Welcome aboard Tailspotspotter. What part of the motor is peeling? A motor that new shouldn't peel on the hood or upper part of foot. The lower part might. Is the surface under the paint where it peeled corroded?
Semper Fi
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

It is usually caused by electrolosis. Is your sacrificial annode still intact?
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Tailspotspotter
Site Sponsor

Post by Tailspotspotter »

Thanks guys. All parts of the motor are peeling except for the cover (cowling). The annode is still intact and the metal isn't pitted or corroded. It has a three year warranty, so I guess the dealer will paint it, but I don't want this done each year. Other than the paint it runs great.