Build your own Kayak Cart for under $15

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Littoral

Build your own Kayak Cart for under $15

Post by Littoral »

8)
Great design I stole from a few places, most recently Talltails. $12.00 total.
My first effort collapsed but figuring it would I hadn’t glued anything.
After seeing TT’s cart in action I finished mine. A couple of design issues are essential to consider.
Actually lifting the kayak to align the scuppers can be near impossible or at least really awkward.
Keeping the cart (including the scupper pipes) as short as possible helps a lot.
The pneumatic wheels are difficult in sand so I stuck to my original choice.
They’re wider, lighter, and have white walls.
If you want some similar wheels just check at the dump. Easy pickings.

Poor child had her wheels jacked.

Actually listening to what other people say is worth the effort.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Re: Build your own Kayak Cart for under $15

Post by jsuber »

How fast can she pull you and the Yak in the yard? Gives me good idea for Red Neck Rik Shaw to carry people around St Marks after the Renovation.
Talltails

Post by Talltails »

:o :o :o
rcrudder
Site Sponsor

Post by rcrudder »

Thank you Talltails, Littoral, and Suber. I have combined the ideas from the posted Kayak Carts and listened to Suber's comment about coming over and boring out the scuppers and come up with a cart for my wife's Ocean Caper. I also combined the prices and the cost is about $35.00 plus tax and three trips to town for parts and pieces.

In the Ocean Caper the scupper holes will accomodate only 1/2 inch PCV. My Wilderness' scupper holes will accomodate 3/4 inch PVC. Again, thanks Suber for preventing me from buying the 3/4 stuff before checking the size of the scupper holes. The dimentions are exactly from Talltails post. I differed in this respect. For the axle I used a 24 inch piece of aluminum rod. Cost $9.00. I used the same tires from Harbor Freight but the cost was $5.99 each. The PVC including 4 T's was $5.00. I purchased four stainless washers and two stainless cotter keys and that was it. One should note that the 5/8 aluminum rod/axle will not slide through the schedule 40, 1/2 inch PVC. So, find a section of the cheap thin wall 1/2 inch PVC for the axle housing. Notice the position of the T's in my pics.

Again thanks for the information and this forum. It has helped me more than once.
Attachments
100_1300.JPG
100_1300.JPG (1.52 MiB) Viewed 11023 times
100_1299.JPG
100_1299.JPG (501.92 KiB) Viewed 11023 times
100_1298.JPG
100_1298.JPG (1.83 MiB) Viewed 11020 times