GPS/fish finder recs

All things dealing with kayaks and kayak fishing.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jenndon

GPS/fish finder recs

Post by jenndon »

New to kayak fishing, just bought a hobie adventure, would appreciate suggestions for GPS/fish finder. Any suggestions for brand names/models, thanks.
Talltails

Re: GPS/fish finder recs

Post by Talltails »

Congrats on your new kayak. The Hobe Adventure is a fine boat. When I first got into kayak fishing, I overloaded my boat with all kinds of unnecessary gear and electronics. I have since learned that the simplicity is the way to go. A handheld gps with a good nautical map is useful and stowable. As far as deapth finders go, I recommend a stakeout pole and a good pair of polarized glasses.
jsuber
Site Sponsor

Post by jsuber »

I second that. If your fishing our area, you would be better served buying a handheld GPS and Polarized glasses.
Charles
Site Sponsor

Post by Charles »

Hi Jenndon. Welcome to the forum. I rarely carry a GPS, and when I do I view it as much more of just a gadget to play with, rather than something that's actually going to help me catch fish. I have the Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx and like it very much, it just isn't real necessary for inshore kayak fishing around here. I do carry a compass, a Brunton Type 15, for navigation if the weather looks like it might even be a little foggy. Not a problem this time of year.

I almost said I don't even own a depth finder, but that's not true. I do have one. It's out in the shed. I took it, I think, twice in the last almost 4 years. When I take my canoe my pushpole is my depth finder. If you can identify rock weed, you can identify rocky areas when you can't see the bottom.

Don't overburden yourself with "stuff" just starting out. Go a few times with just the basics, boat, paddle, lifejacket, whistle, rod and reel, a few lures, etc., until you figure out what can be added to your ensemble that will actually be useful.
red_yakker
Site Sponsor

Post by red_yakker »

Yeah, I agree with the first 3 replies. GPS is useful in certain situations on a kayak, but a fish finder is uneccesary for this area. I've learned the less gear I can get away with, the better.

I used to carry a small ice chest and all sorts of stuff when I went, but after losing many pliers, a boga grip, a fillet knife, and even my entire tackle box, I learned to carry a stringer for my fish and a small soft tackle box that I can tie down easily. When I do take my GPS, I use a handheld in a waterproof pouch. If I can't tie it either to myself or my kayak, it doesn't go with me any more.
The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb