St. Marks 3/15

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jmay
Site Sponsor

St. Marks 3/15

Post by jmay »

My family and I have spent our last 3 spring breaks at Shell Point fishing in the Apalachee Bay area and we are as hooked as a lot of you. A friend in the area told us that we needed to go to the Cobb rocks area Monday for trout. We crossed the bay early and fished 8 hours between Cobb rocks and the Grey Mare rock ... we caught 31 trout with 5 keepers 15.5 to 17. Beautiful day in an area we have not fished before. Now the best part of the story.

We were heading back in to Shell Point at 3:30pm and were on the edge of the sand bar at live oak Island when we saw fish busting the top of the water. We stopped and for the next 2 hours we had the fishing time of our lives. We were smack dab in the middle of a biq school of Spanish. We hooked up with close to a hundred of them ... several cutting the line... several shaking the hook at the boat. When all was said and done we had put 45 good spanish in the boat. We fished them with our trout rigs... CT's with SA electric Chicken but after several cut offs I re-rigged with 60 lb flurocarbon leader. we were in 4 feet of clear water... any deeper and the fish weren't there. We caught several over 20 inches and the big fish was 26. When we ran out of electric chicken they bit candy corn almost as well.

We do BBQ catering on the side back here in Ga. and have a large Smoker. We are looking very forward to smoked Spanish.

Thanks to all for the good tips we pick up here on BigBendFishing.
RodBow
Site Sponsor

spanish smackin'

Post by RodBow »

Holy Moly, jmay! What a nice way to spend SB. If you run out of cooler space just call us on down. I'd like to say, "and I helped".
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Don't ya just hate it when a plan just jumps out in front of ya :-D Glad ya'll got into them Spanish ta finish up your vacation :thumbup: :thumbup:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

WTG.. :thumbup: very nice..
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Sounds like a blast jmay. :thumbup: We were just discussing smoked spainish macks here yesterday. Great fishing, and enjoy the feast. :lick:
Semper Fi
DWilliams

Post by DWilliams »

Spanish smoked are very tasty. :thumbup:
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

:o MAN!! Don'tcha just hate it when things get in the way on your return trip to the dock. :roll: Your all set to clean up the boat...clean fish...wash down the rods... and then all them doggone fish get in the way. Makes ya so mad you start throw'n plugs at'm to try and scare'm off ..then end up hook'n half of em in the process. Well better luck next time :-D :smt043 :thumbup:
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Atticus
Site Sponsor

Post by Atticus »

Wow- That sounds great :thumbup:

Nice report, glad to hear the Spanish are back in town
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Great report!
How am I gonna get any work done now??