Another Keaton report(kinda long)

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

JimR
Site Sponsor

Another Keaton report(kinda long)

Post by JimR »

Got to the marina about 6:15am Saturday and were forth and fifth boats in line (BIL and myself) :( . Got some bait and headed to the Stienhatchee reef for sheepshead. Bad idea !!! Reef was already loaded when we got there. Couldn't anchor close to the reef, BIL decided to run out and troll for grouper. I took my newbie partner (daughters boyfriend ) back to south of Keaton. Fished in 2-3 ft of water, caught 5 slot sized and then newbie hangs into a 24 incher :D Haven't seen anybody get that excited over a fish in a long time. I picked up one about 22 inches . BIL and his dad and son came back in from trolling (no grouper ) and fished the same area and picked up seven fish with the young son getting a 19.5 incher. :thumbup: Bite slowed and dad's getting tired so we headed back to the camper for a few :beer: and :sleep: . The lift was an absolute NIGHTMARE :evil: . Sunday morning we used the ramp, got there at 6:15, went to the same area and fished 2-3 feet again. My newbie and I managed 5 keepers to 18" by 8:30 and the bite slowed. Didn't catch another until about 11:30 and they started biting again. I got a 21 incher in 5 ft of water, drifting back in we finished a limit at 12:40 and headed for the hill. As of then my BIL and crew hadn't boxed one but I heard from them last night and they got 4 keepers before they headed in. They were going again this morning so maybe they got a few more. All ours were caught on SWA's of various colors , most in 3 ft of water. Caught more shorts this trip than I ever have. Kept the newbie interested though :wink: . Fishing was good, :beer: was cold and the company was great. Looking forwarded to another trip. :thumbup:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Kewl..WTG... :beer: :thumbup:
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Sounds like a fine trip Jim. We saw the results of a Steinhatchee Reef trip Friday night at the cleaning station. Fellow had the best catch of Sheephead I've seen in many years. Huge fish to say the least. :thumbup:
Semper Fi