St. Marks, 3/25, Full Report

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dbplug
Site Sponsor

St. Marks, 3/25, Full Report

Post by dbplug »

Got to the fort about 10:45. Two little girls, 17 yo son, and my lovely bride(who does not like to fish).

New format for me here.

Wind:
8-12 out of the E at the fort, river a little choppy. By 11:30, lighthouse and flats were smooth and glassy. Wind out of the S at less than 5, completely still by 2:00PM.

Temp: 64 in the river, reached 67.8 in 4-10 on the flats by 2:30.

Water: clear to about 5'

Birds: lots of cormorants, ninhegas(sp?), or snakebirds. Most in groups, not activley feeding. No diving birds, no schools of bait to be seen.

The MAN: Saw a new one, older gent, did not want to talk to me. He spent most of the day slowly cruising the flats.

Fish: Tried 3.5 to 10 feet and everything in between. No action on grubs, regardless of color, Tipped with FB. Had several trout take a roll at a shrimp freelined under a CT, also good rolls at a green over orange floating mirrolure. Just no takers, drove me crazy. Thought I might be able to snatch one of the little boogers. Hooked one 1.25" pinfish through the eye socket. He was after my shrimp on the bottom in about 5'.

Going back tomorrow AM and again on Saturday AM. If it is smooth again I will be south of 24. Will be growing scales soon.
for petes sake
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

BUT DID YA HAVE FUN :thumbup: :thumbup: Just my thoughts "and the way I usually fish" try 3 foot or LESS for the Trout :o go with a top water on on rig, a CT on the others "around 18"s of line and see what ya get :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

:thumbup: 3 or less :thumbup:
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

3 or less, will do. And yes we had a blast!
for petes sake
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Yep, this time of year you are still looking for the warmest water you can find. That is going to be shallow and stained. I agree with the other guys. Try 3 or less next time.
Tom Keels
Site Founder