Icky 3/28

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tin can
Site Sponsor

Icky 3/28

Post by tin can »

Ledsled and I kinda slept in this morning. We got to our spot out of Econfina about 8:40. Took us an hour and a half to figure out the bite. Between 10:00 and 1:15 we caught 32 trout, 22 of which were keepers, and the biggest going 19". We also caught 4 spanish, one of which was 24".

The fish were congrigated in 2 or 3 small areas. These areas were 3' to 3.5' deep. The water temp was 68 degrees when we got there and 74 degrees when we left. Most of the fish were caught on Catch Jrs. and CTs. The bigger fish came on the catch Jrs. Color didn't seem to matter.

The water was stained enough you couldn't see the bottom. I could see my white and red Jr. down about 2 feet.

There was an hour period when the trout were slamming the bait. I had a trout jump 3 feet out of the water this morning. Never seen a trout jump that high. After that the bite was slow. Fish would follow the bait and peck at it. We had numerous fish follow the bait all the way to the boat and not take it. When they did this, we switched to CTs and slowed the presentation.

It was an interesting day of fishing. The bite changed several times and we had to adjust to what they wanted, and how they wanted it.

We had a good trip.
What was I supposed to do today?
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Nice day on the water for sure....Did Ledsled wear you out :wink: :lol:
dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Nice day for sure. Good catch.. :thumbup:
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Chalk, we about matched each other. No winner, no loser. Just an all around good trip. We both caught fish.
ALMAR

Great catch

Post by ALMAR »

Hey Tin Can, glad you found the trout. When you see a trout jump out of the water like that you can be sure that Mr. Shark is not too far behind, generally when that happens the bite shuts down until Mr. Shark moves on. How far east did you go to find them? I am headed down that way in the morning.
:lick: :lick: :thumbup: :thumbup: :-D
Pa
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Pa, we were out in front of Hickory Mound. Hope ya catch um up. Talk to them fish for me while you're there. :D
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Hickory Mound was definately the spot today. I took Fish Masterson out in search of the reds, and there was a pile of boats stacked up in front it!!
ALMAR

Tin Can

Post by ALMAR »

Thanks for the information John, appreciate it.
Pa
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Where is Hickory Mound?
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good afternoon Tidedancer.

I trust I'm not giving away any secrets but since I referred to this area a couple of weeks ago I guess I can share the following with you. The link will take you to the FWC's online brochure on the Hickory Mound Unit. It is a PDF page and if you go to the bottom you will find a map of the area. That will give you the general area known as Hickory Mound. The rest is up to you :D Good luck.
http://www.wildflorida.org/hunting/wma/ ... _Mound.pdf
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Outstanding trip TC. Ya'll did good. :thumbup:
Semper Fi
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Sir Reel. Thanks a bunch :thumbup: