Wahoo, Dolphin and Tuna

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Wahoo, Dolphin and Tuna

Post by captkeyser »

I am an inshore fisherman and don't know too much about trolling for pelagics. Are Wahoo, Dolphin and Tuna still around this time of year in the Gulf???? IF so, what depths? Speed of troll, etc.? Any help would be much appreciated. I have some buddies that may be heading out tomorrow and need info asap. :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer: :beer:
Offshore7

Re: Wahoo, Dolphin and Tuna

Post by Offshore7 »

If they are heading out tomorrow (4'-6', not me) they won't have any luck with the three species in this area. Too cold (and shallow). You need to go west over to Mexico Beach offshore starting around late May when the water warms up and you can get some. If you have to have them now, go over and fish offshore from Venice, LA. They are tearing up the hoo's and tuna (no dolphin).
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Thanks for the responce. Figured the temps would be too cold. So basically the only option would be grouper and AJ's then huh??? They would be going out of Carrabelle.
Natureboy

Post by Natureboy »

Offshore7 wrote:. If you have to have them now, go over and fish offshore from Venice, LA. They are tearing up the hoo's and tuna (no dolphin).
Heading there tomorrow. I will post a report monday.
GEAUX TIGERS!
Offshore7

Post by Offshore7 »

10-4. The big black sea bass (rock bass) should keep them busy as hell. Also, if they fish some public wrecks (the barge NEAR O tower), they could get into some nice mangrove snapper too. Fish the sand around the barges with squid for flounder. noaa is forecasting 15 knot winds and seas at 2'-4'. hopefully, they will be wrong and it will be calmer. good luck! you too Donzi!