NauticStar Boats

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

NauticStar Boats

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Are Nautic Star boats any good? I know someone on here has one but I can't remember who. I saw one in Albany last week and it looks like a very nice boat. I was just curious about the quality because I know the company is new.
Team Jolly Mon
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Re: NauticStar Boats

Post by RHTFISH »

Hey neighbor! They sure look nice and appear to be finished well with nice layouts! I saw one that had your name written all over it! :-D
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
CW2008

Post by CW2008 »

I own a Nauticstar 2200 (2005) with a 225 yamaha 4-stroke. I bought it (new) because it works pretty well as a bass boat too. I needed an all around boat to meet family needs. It mostly stays at Eufaula but occassionally goes to the bays and Gulf. I have few complaints. I paid a good deal less than for a Ranger or Triton (the others that my dealer was selling) so I didn't expect the same fit and finish, but I have been pleased with that also. I would recommend it based on my experience. I don't know anything about its competition though. Scout and Pathfinder for example may be better boats for the money.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Nauticstar, Ranger and Triton cut their teeth on freshwater boats and do a great job in that market. But Saltwater is a different animal. I would stay with a company that focused on saltwater. My pick is the Mavrick boat company for bang for the buck.
Look at what Bass Pro shops has done with the Mako line. Lots of items that are just price point installs. They are not what they use to be.
CW2008

Post by CW2008 »

CW2008 wrote:Scout and Pathfinder for example may be better boats for the money.
I meant to say "good" boats for the money. I don't know how they compare.
CW2008

Post by CW2008 »

CW2008 wrote:Scout and Pathfinder for example may be better boats for the money.
What is a Freudian slip,and was that one?
slayer

Post by slayer »

I love mine!!!!!! 2006 ns 2200 BAY W/2006 200HO ETEC....

I spent an entire year researching Bay boats.......and Nautic Star kept making it into the "short list" .....

they are great boats that have a great customer service reputation....

dont get into the "brand war".....Nautic Star is as well built as any other mid-tier boat and what they have as standard equipment is normally an upgrade for other manufacturers....

here is the site.....http://www.nauticstarboats.com/

I looked at Pathfinders (wet feet), VIP Bay stealth, Carolina Skiffs , skeeters, rangers, seapro, sea king pro-line, pro-lite, and many many more...spent a lot of seat time in cars just getting to places to crawl over them and learn as much as possible.......and I finally came to the conclusion that I really didnt want to spend 40K +++++ on a bay boat...and if you get a high end boat, even a fairly new used one, 40k would still be considered cheap....

I got mine as a bank repo for 21,500.00 out the door and mine gets a lot of attention from other boaters including some that already have bay boats...the storage on the boat is crazy!!!!!! + 2 fishing platforms + flip up passenger seats......the ride is outrageously comfortable, dry running(as good as any bay boat I have been in).....jumps onto plane in almost the length of the boat(mine has tabs, but have never been used)...

what model are you looking at??? I like the older 2200(non-TE) or the 2110 or the 1910 models....

just start asking questions bubba....that and visist thehulltruth.com and search a little....

again, I spent a year looking learning and testing as many boats as I could get near, and the Nautic Star brand kept rising to the top of my short list...you wont be disappointed
2006 Nautic Star 2200 bay
2015 Suzuki DF225
Garmin 93SV
Uniden Oceanus VHF
Minn Kota Riptide ST 80 I-Pilot

One half of Team Redneck !!!!!

CW2008

Post by CW2008 »

Actually, I feel about the same way about mine. I've never had much experience in anything other than a jon boat before, so I don't know how it stacks up. About the only places I fished growing up were farm ponds and the Alapaha River - things you could just about cover from the bank.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Thanks for the info guys. I loved my Key west 1720 and it is hard comparing Key West quality to other boats. The Nautic Star appears very nice though. I have a while before I would consider buying another boat but I am starting to weigh my options.
Team Jolly Mon
Natureboy

Post by Natureboy »

[quote="Tidedancer"]Look at what Bass Pro shops has done with the Mako line. quote]

What do you mean?
GEAUX TIGERS!
slayer

Post by slayer »

I believe he is refering to the fact/opinion that since BPS aquired the MAKO line that the quality/craftsmanship of the boats have taken a nose dive......I looked at them real close, and it was big, white and shiney...... but thats as far as it went for me.....remember, everythings that shines is not silver or gold.....check out classicmako.com for the straight scoop on new vs old mako's
2015 Suzuki DF225
Garmin 93SV
Uniden Oceanus VHF

Semper Fi-sh
Site Sponsor

Post by Semper Fi-sh »

Flint River Pirate, I have a 2110 Nautic Star Bay and agree with just about everything Slayer and others has stated about Nautic Stars. They are a very good boat at a moderate cost. Nautic star has not been around as long as some. However, you have to start somewhere and in my opion they are off to a great start. The factory is in Armory Mississippi, I asked my pops to visit the factory for me (he lives about 1 hour from there) and they gave him an on the spot tour. In short, Good process, Good people, Good product.

I am from the Albany area and think you might of saw my girl; I had her out and about last week. I would be happy if you contact me to give you a closer look.
Natureboy

Post by Natureboy »

I agree that Mako has lost a lot of quality. They arent what they were. I have a 7 year old mako 1901 and it is starting to fall apart. lots of cracks in the fiberglass and rused bolts. It is under the barn right now. my brother uses it alot and it still looks fine but they were good boats at one time.. It had a hunk of crap mercury that I replaced with a yamaha They all get cheaper these days. This last donzi we bought has some cut corners where you didnt see in the past.
GEAUX TIGERS!
Natureboy

Post by Natureboy »

Flint River Pirate wrote:it is hard comparing Key West quality to other boats. .
I would say nauticstar is equal to key west in quality not better or worse. I just looked at there website and NS has some good layouts. they also have a lifetime hull warranty. You would just have to hope the stay in bizness. :beer: Go and buy a Scout or Pathfinder if you want a good flats boat.
GEAUX TIGERS!
slayer

Post by slayer »

really real,ly liked the scout(except for the price) and the pathfinder was a super fast ride for a bay boat.....but both trials I took left me with wet feet...but I have been told that newer models raised the scuppers above the waterline....

both of these boats would have to be considered either real high in the mid-tier of boats or low in the High end tier of boats...and those come with a premium price tag, I wanted a boat that would serve multiple functions, bass/inshore/near shore/offshore/family boating/tubing.....so the 25" transom on the Nautic Star was better for my needs...

I will say this, when at Keaton 2 years ago, the Florida FWC guy actually run me down while I was in my 20' Statos Bass boat...and buddy I had her skint back and was smoking coming in from Spring Warrior...and that FWC Pathfinder ran me down in short order!!!!!! other bass boats had a hard time keeping up with me,,,,he not only kept up...HE SMOKED ME!!!!!!!

the whole time he was going thru his check list of things to look for, I was asking questions and crawling all over his boat....granted, he was stripped down, and I was loaded with a full fishing load, but I was amazed at that things speed!!!

I could just never find a fairly new used pathfinder in my budget, and if I did, it would always have that silly 150HP motor hung on the back....why they would underpower such a fine boat is beyond my understanding......
2015 Suzuki DF225
Garmin 93SV
Uniden Oceanus VHF