Port St. Joe 4/9-4/10

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Scott7138
Site Sponsor

Port St. Joe 4/9-4/10

Post by Scott7138 »

Got down there Thurs to repair a boat trailer that had snapped in half the weekend before. Got it fixed about 3:00, to lazy and tired to fish that afternoon. Waited on the lady and the kids to show up that night. They finally showed up about 10:00 and got everyone to bed. 5 of us in a camper and the 3 kids were still wired. Caffiene and a 4 yr. old and a 7 yr. old are a deadly combination. :o Got up and on the water finally about 8:00 Fri. morning with the 13 yr. old boy and made our run to Blacks Il. He boated a Blue right off the bat. A couple of more shorts and a change of position. These were caught on a red/ gold glitter jig under a CT. While he fished with this combo, I tried a Mann's jerk bait chrome/yellow back and hooked up with a stingray that I could not get off of bottom. Finally gave him the bait. Next bait. Bass Assasin Albino and Baby Bass colors. This produced not as many fish, but the quality was good. Boated one 21" and the rest were not less than 17". Brought home 6 keepers and threw back about 15 shorts. I am a firm beliver in these soft plastics. Took the family out for a boat ride that afternoon with no results. Boredom set in quick with the kids. The next morning found me on the water by myself as the 13 yr. old decided that sleep was more important :roll: . Went straight to bass assasin and got one drift that produced back to back cast of another 21 and 19". Had my limit by 10:30 and was throwing back. Had what I think was a huge spanish blow by my fluke but never took it. Sat. afternoon took the "crew" back out for an afternoon of catching not fishing. The fish Gods were with us and there is nothing finer than watching a 4 and 7 yr. old girls reeling in Speckeled trout. By this time the lady had become interested in this. So I hooked one for her and let her have it. Then she became interested in throwing my bait caster :o . So a quick lesson and no backlashes has got her hooked. What a good weekend. This is why we who have the resources and the knowledge of fishing owe it to ourselves and others to pass it on and get others less fortunate than us on the water. :-D Hopefully have some pictures later this week.

dstockwell

Post by dstockwell »

Good report Scott, and good catch.. :thumbup:
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Nice. 26 days and counting and I'll be there for a week! :smt041 :smt041
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Nice story with the kids, hooking the wife on fishing is a prize.
Adding to the St. Joe report I was there Saturday night & Sunday morning. I fished off the oil docks 11 pm - 1:00 am & caught a lot of blues. The best part of it was the amazing things you see at night under the lights off the seawall. I really recommend taking kids down there at night to see what shows up. The lights illuminate ~50 yards out & its like an aquarium. I saw 5-6 different species of rays, mullet, sharks, lots of different bait fish, sheeps head, squadrons of big squid, and lots of big things going fast. I made it back at first light and slayed the spanish. They quit as soon as the sun broke the horizon. They wouldn't hit topwater but the biggest ones (~25-30") loved the big diving plugs. I was happy to lose only one plug, especially since my fool self had to toss the yozuri. The highlight of the morning was when I was playing a fish & my heart skipped when a huge tarpon rolled right at my feet.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Good trip Scott. Thanks for the report. :thumbup: That's it, get mama hooked with the lures. Helps the get-to-go ratio improve conciderably. :wink:
Semper Fi
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good Stuff Scott. :D :thumbup: ...... and Lit.... thanks for your report as well... you both make a good report'n team :D
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
fishing gal

about oil docks?

Post by fishing gal »

where are they in port st.joe, are going down to the state park for mothers day weekend to fish our brains out, we will be fishing at the park, but would like to take my kids to see all the marine life there(they are 15,13,12, and 10) thanks so much we make this a yearly thing 2nd year wo hooooo :wink: :lick:
when the water warms see me at the beach or bay, yahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, loving hubbie, and kids
Littoral

Post by Littoral »

fishing gal, at McDonalds turn left & go to the end of the road. Its slippery if the tide is up, otherwise its easy.
fishing gal

Post by fishing gal »

thanks litteral we might have to try that, how has the fishing been that way lately? anyone know?
when the water warms see me at the beach or bay, yahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, loving hubbie, and kids