Prefishin for RT Shootout 4-11-10

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Jhults11

Prefishin for RT Shootout 4-11-10

Post by Jhults11 »

Myself, Jeremy, Don, and Tim decided to do some pre-fishing for the RT Shootout tournament today. Launched at 830 We decided to hit some known areas as well as do some exploring. I cant tell ya where we fished but we will say its between St. George and ST. Marks..lol.. :-D . Well, we started the day with a ridonkulouse east wind at 15-20mph. In the first couple of hours we landed several nice trout with don getting one on topwater at 21". We moved a bit after we knew where the trout were to look for some reds. They were tough to find but we finally figured them out and managed a few nice fish that would be good tourney fish. After we accomplished our goal of finding big trout and big reds, we were off to load the box with slot trout. We hit one of our favorite spots and in 3 hours we put 13 keeper trout from 15-22" and a nice 15" Flattie in the box.We were gonna throw the 22" back in hopes of catching him again in the tourney, but whats the likelihood of that happening..lol! Back at the dock by 530. Wind and waves sucked all day. Solid 15 sustained outta the southeast all day. A great day was had by all. Good friends, good fish, and cold beers :beer: ! One more thing, Dons Maverick is awesome, we rode across the bay at 52 mph through 2ft chop and it felt as smooth as could be in the boat. It handels it awesome and only drafts 11"! Thanks again DON!!! We will getem in two weeks. RT Shootout here we come (as long as the wind doesnt change the night before to 25-30 out of the north, a minus -1.5 tide, and have water temp drop 7 degrees over the course of the day :thumbdown:)
Jeremy and our 22"
Tim and our two biggest
The days catch!
FEESH
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Prefishin for RT Shootout 4-11-10

Post by Salty Gator »

I met you today at Crums and saw you somewhere between st George and st marks. Did you have a good day? We caught a nice tourney red but no trout over 21.. I guess I'll se you at the capts meeting on wed. Good luck until the red trout shootout. David
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Did great. Caught severeal nice fish. Hard time finding trout though. Any tips..lol
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Outstanding! Glad y'all did well. Nice day to be on the water. I think they are a little east of where I saw y'all fishing today.lol. I've heard of some nice trout in the area, but I've not gotten into them. Plenty of reds but no sizable trout.
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Yeah we fished a little east of where we were for like 3 hrs and the biggest trout we got was 18". I know there are some bigger ones ones in there. Good luck and we will see ya on tourney day. :thumbup:
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Did you fish today in spite of the rts postponment?
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Salty Gator- we did and did awesome. Im so pissed they canceled it. It was no that bad. Stay close within 1.5 to 2 miles of shore and it wasnt over 1ft waves. :roll: We treated it as a tourney day and grinded it out and fished from 7 till 1. We ended up with a reel nice bag. Did yall end up fishin?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

We did. Was on tha water @ 5:20 . Loaded up with pilchards by 6:45. Checked my voicemail then and got the news. We fished until 12:30. Best day of my life!! No kidding, and yea the wether wasn't that bad. Prabably can't fish here next weekend. Comitted to a small tourney with a good buddy in steinhatchee, and both of my teammates are out for sure. Once I'm sure, I'll give you the details. But there are some pigs out there. Crazy
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

So, what's it going to be? The RTS or fishing for kids?
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Yeah they couldnt have picked a better freaking date could they. Well my dad is using our boat for the take a kid fishing event so as far as me being at the event or not is not a problem (even though i would like to be there, its an awesome event). Don on the other hand is the director of the whole thing so....we will see. I know hes out if he can get enough boats for the TAKFD, we will have to see. Since the entry fee is nonrefundable, its a tough call for me.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Did you fish? Didn't see you at the weigh in
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

No we didnt. Out third guy was the guy with the boat and he is the director of the take a kid fishing day, so we had no boat. We got the shaft as far as the worst day they could have rescheduled the dang thing. Next year they need to allow alternates to be subbed in especially if the tourney gets postphoned because not everyone can adjust there schedules to accomadate.......how yall do?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

We did ok. Only had 2 guys this time. Got a nice red, but couldn't find that big trout. Took 2nd in the big red Calcutta, but our 18" trout didn't help us. Needed a 3.5 pounder to get in the top 10. Nice day though, we had a great time at the weigh in. Will we see you out there this weekend, or are you headed back east?