Take a Kid Fishing

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Take a Kid Fishing

Post by Salty Gator »

I just found out, I can't do it on may 15. If it gets postponed, please let me know I can probably rustle up 2 or 3 boats, and 4 kayaks if someone is planning a kayak excursion. May be able to talk some experienced kayak anglers to help. It seems great and I'd love to get involved any other day than may 15. Please post if it gets changed, thanks
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Thanks for letting us know Salty Gator. We understand that schedules change due to things outside of our control.

As far as the event being postponed I doubt that it could be done. The Childrens home Calendar gets pretty much set firm early on. Establishing a time when the young folks can all be available and other scheduling demands doesn't provide much wiggle room. I know in the past when the weather has started looking iffy, it was understood that if we needed to cancel, the event would not be rescheduled. There are several meetings and details that take place between the Childrens home and the Organizers (ie Don England) to bring this event together. It doesn't seem like it would take much but there are a lot of issues behind the scenes that must be worked out.

We still need more Captains/Boats to be sign on before Sunday so we can provide a half day for some very deserving young people. Let me also say that you will be very impressed by the manners and respect that you will be shown by these young anglers. They appreciate the opportunity we provide and they want to make sure they don't do anything to cast a negative light. It's pretty much a Yes Sir and No Ma'am morning :D :thumbup:
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

I just finished communicating with Don England. He indicated that we have unofficially enough boats for 16-17 of the youth from the Children's Home. We're doing much better but we still need to come up with 6 or 7 more boats and Captains. More would be better in case we have some folks who have to bow out at the last minute. Thanks to all those who have volunteered their time and resources. If your considering participating, don't wait to let Don know. Thanks.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Sorry fellas, I just found out may 15 is out for me. If it gets postponed I'd love to be involved. I could probably get a few other boats. Also we have 2 kayaks and could get 2 more if anyone was planning a kayak excursion for the
older ones. Possibly be able to rustle up an experienced kayak angler or two if that helps. If it doesn't get postponed or worse, if it gets cancelled. I'd love to be involved next year and will clear the calendar.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Sorry fellas, just found out may 15 is out for me. If it gets postponed, please post it. I'd probably be able to get a few more boats. We also have 2 kayaks and could get 2 more if anyone was planning a kayak excursion for the older ones. We could probably get an experienced kayak angler or two if needed. I'll clear the calander for sure next year if it doesn't get postponed, or worse cancelled
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Sorry, Trying to figure out this forum, didn't understand why my replies weren't making it up and was having to retype everything, so glad all three made it up???? Good luck. I have 2 buddies that may fish, I'll get them on it. Kayaks still available if needed, and will be there for sure next year
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

BTT
rx fisher
Site Sponsor

Post by rx fisher »

You can count me in, I can take one adult and a kid. I've enjoyed the event every year I could and Don does a great job making smiles.
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Good morning RX. It's good to hear from you and Thanks very much. :D :thumbup: I know you probably have already touched base or discussed it with Don but just in case, let him know your in.
Geaux Fishin

Post by Geaux Fishin »

Steve, are we in the boat count? :smt006
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

Those of you who have fished Take a Kid Fishing in the past years know what a rewarding experience this is. For those of you that are new to TAKF, here's the mostly common sense rules:

- No swimming
- No swearing
- No alcohol
- Take all the pictures you want, but none can be posted or published without prior permission from the children's home
- Proper attire please, no skimpy bathing suits

You may want to bring a couple extra hats incase one gets blown away. Most of these kids have never been on a boat before and will need you to tell them what to do.

Most boats will also have a sponsor from the children's home to accompany the child.

The children will have their own lifejackets, snacks, and drinks. Captains will supply fishing gear and tackle.

The children are scheduled to arrive at the Fort at 7:45 and fishing will be from 8:00 to 12:00. Please be prompt back at the pavillion to enjoy lunch (provided) and a helping of tall fish tales!.

Meet me in the morning at the pavillion to receive your packet which will include name tags, boat sticker, and a boat flag (to display that you're fishing).

We will send a ramp fee waiver for the fort in a later email. The waiver will be in Adobe pdf format so that you can download and print. The waiver should be displayed on your dash. If you are unableto print the waiver, see me at the pavillion; I'll have extras. If you don't receive an email from me tonight, please email me at doneengland@gmail.com so that I can include you in the list.

Right now we have enough boats for this event, but we can take a couple more as alternates in case we have cancellations.

Thanks Captains for volunteering! We appreciate your time and effort in this fune event. Have a fun time with the kids!
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Right now we have enough boats for this event, but we can take a couple more as alternates in case we have cancellations.
Thanks Folks ! If you were thinking about it but haven't notified Don and would still like to participate, Please go ahead and let Don know that you'd like to be considered an alternate. There are generally always one or two folks who have something come up at the last minute and need an alternate to step in for them. Thanks again for all those who have committed to making it a great day for a youngster.
dolphinatic
Advertising Sponsor

Post by dolphinatic »

Hey guys, I should be able to help as an alternate. Let me know if you still the need the help :thumbup:
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21

Team BevisRealty.com
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

Thanks Dolphinatic. Go ahead and let Don know. He works with other sources to find Captains for this event and may not always have a chance to read up on the posts. He depends on the email list of contacts as the gospel. Contact info: call 850 510 0828 or E mail at doneengland@gmail.com.
reelcatch

Post by reelcatch »

OK I finally got the word from my son that he will indeed be home for this and is planning on it. He will be using my little G-3 so whoever he takes will need to be one of the older kids and he really can only fir the child.