The BP oil rig

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GAJOEY
Site Sponsor

Re: The BP oil rig

Post by GAJOEY »

Reel Cowboy wrote:What's odd to me is that it was a BP rig. BP has some of the strictest safety protocals and procedures of any related company.

I agree My dad worked as a contractor for a BP plant in Alabama ..They were very tight on safety
Watch out for the one who brings a spoon to a knife fight..he is either really stupid or really good with a spoon. <')))><
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

No doubt BP has strict safety procedures, but the real problem here is the fact that they can't get the Blow Out Preventer to shut. Had the BOP worked properly, we would be looking at a minimal spill that unfortunately took some lives. Let's hope they can get that BOP operating soon or that the domes they are building will help stop the flow. If not we are looking at a couple more months of free flowing product.

Even if it gets stopped tomorrow, we'll still be picking up tar balls and tar mats from the beaches for months. It's just a darn shame this has happened.
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

This is terrible. I am not a big conspiracy buff and I sure as hell don't think BP did this to themselves, but these rigs have an EXCELLENT safety record and have never had an explosion like this one. I would not be a bit surprised to learn that some left wing liberal tree hugging group didn't bomb this thing in attempt to turn public opinion to stop offshore drilling.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
konrad

Post by konrad »

[quote="MudDucker"]This is terrible. I am not a big conspiracy buff and I sure as hell don't think BP did this to themselves, but these rigs have an EXCELLENT safety record and have never had an explosion like this one. I would not be a bit surprised to learn that some left wing liberal tree hugging group didn't bomb this thing in attempt to turn public opinion to stop offshore drilling.[/quote]

Are you serious???? That's like saying the conservative fundamentalist were behind 911 so we could go to war with Iraq. Come on guys.
PinFishKing
Site Sponsor

Post by PinFishKing »

I just read where Obama had allocated 1.2 billion dollars for FEMA birdhouses to temporarily house the migratory birds displaced by the disaster. :D
You just can't fix stupid.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Reel Cowboy wrote:What's odd to me is that it was a BP rig. BP has some of the strictest safety protocals and procedures of any related company.
The rig belongs to Transocean, the world’s biggest offshore drilling contractor. The rig was originally contracted through the year 2013 to
BP and was working on BP’s Macondo exploration well when the fire broke out. The rig costs about $500,000 per day to contract. The full
drilling spread, with helicopters and support vessels and other services, will cost closer to $1,000,000 per day to operate in the course of
drilling for oil and gas. The rig cost about $350,000,000 to build in 2001 and would cost at least double that to replace today.

The rig represents the cutting edge of drilling technology. It is a floating rig, capable of working in up to 10,000 ft water depth. The rig is
not moored; It does not use anchors because it would be too costly and too heavy to suspend this mooring load from the floating
structure. Rather, a triply-redundant computer system uses satellite positioning to control powerful thrusters that keep the rig on station
within a few feet of its intended location, at all times. This is called Dynamic Positioning.

The rig had apparently just finished cementing steel casing in place at depths exceeding 18,000 ft. The next operation was to suspend the
well so that the rig could move to its next drilling location, the idea being that a rig would return to this well later in order to complete the
work necessary to bring the well into production.

It is thought that somehow formation fluids – oil /gas – got into the wellbore and were undetected until it was too late to take action. With a
floating drilling rig setup, because it moves with the waves, currents, and winds, all of the main pressure control equipment sits on the
seabed – the uppermost unmoving point in the well. This pressure control equipment – the Blowout Preventers, or ‘BOP’s” as they’re
called, are controlled with redundant systems from the rig. In the event of a serious emergency, there are multiple Panic Buttons to hit,
and even fail-safe Deadman systems that should be automatically engaged when something of this proportion breaks out. None of them
were aparently activated, suggesting that the blowout was especially swift to escalate at the surface. The flames were visible up to about
35 miles away. Not the glow – the flames. They were 200 – 300 ft high.
Horizon.pdf
(1.33 MiB) Downloaded 112 times
Tennessee

Post by Tennessee »

MudDucker wrote:This is terrible. I am not a big conspiracy buff and I sure as hell don't think BP did this to themselves, but these rigs have an EXCELLENT safety record and have never had an explosion like this one. I would not be a bit surprised to learn that some left wing liberal tree hugging group didn't bomb this thing in attempt to turn public opinion to stop offshore drilling.
Me either. If they did, it worked. As of today Obama put a ban on offshore drilling. I am not sure I can take fuel at 4+ a gallon again.
Tennessee

Post by Tennessee »

Tennessee wrote:
MudDucker wrote:This is terrible. I am not a big conspiracy buff and I sure as hell don't think BP did this to themselves, but these rigs have an EXCELLENT safety record and have never had an explosion like this one. I would not be a bit surprised to learn that some left wing liberal tree hugging group didn't bomb this thing in attempt to turn public opinion to stop offshore drilling.
Me either. If they did, it worked. As of today Obama put a ban on offshore drilling. I am not sure I can take fuel at 4+ a gallon again.
I doubt that either because this could be the worse enviromental disaster in U.S. history.

I really fell sorry fo the folks down there, destruction almost total after Katrina, and now this.
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

Halliburton's shoddy work is coming under scrutiny:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 69072.html
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Here is today's forecast . . . bleak at best. :smt011
Oil Slick Map_cumlative4_29_trajectories.pdf
(342.57 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

State of Emergency declared for 6 Fla Counties:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/04/30/louisi ... tml?hpt=T1
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

I for one have seen what oil spills can do to the coast. I lived in Port Aurthor, Texas in 1977 when a very small spill compared to this one happened. For years after the "clean-up" you couldn't walk on the beaches without oil covering your feet. Your boat would be covered with the mess every time you launched. I was out of a job then, so I was hired to be part of the clean-up in the marshes. We used pom-poms to wipe it up by hand. Worse job I ever had. Thousands of dead fish, birds, and about everything else that lived in the marsh. It would kill me to see that happen to the "Forgotten Coast."

salute2
Semper Fi
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

This view is from yesterday; its a lot bigger today.
Oil Slick 20100429.jpg
Oil Slick 20100429.jpg (3.7 MiB) Viewed 1706 times
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Hey, at least Florida will be able to sue Haliburton, BP, BigOil et al for billions.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Here link to "Other significant Oil pills in the GOM" . . .

http://www.response.restoration.noaa.go ... Mexico.pdf