Carburetor cleaning?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Fishin 911

Carburetor cleaning?

Post by Fishin 911 »

I think the low speed jet(s) in one or more of my 3 carbs in my Yamaha 85hp 2 stroke has some junk in them. From Idle up to about 2500 RPM it wants to cut out a little. 3,000 up to 5,000 it runs like a charm.

Is this probably trash in those jets or something else. I figured I should start out with the simple things first. Can I just add some "Seafoam" fuel cleaner or something to my fuel. How hard is it to clean the carbs? I know there are some gaskets I need to be careful with, might have to replace, etc. If it just a matter of taking the carbs off and spraying them good/soaking them in carb cleaner, I believe I could do that at very little cost to me.
23' Maycraft Center Console "Nauti Lady"
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

James, if is trash in the low speed pickups or jets, you'll have to take the carbs apart and blow them out with either air or aerisol carb cleaner. Most outboard carbs are simple and have no adjustments. Put um back the same way they came apart and life is good.
What was I supposed to do today?
sharkboy
Site Sponsor

Yamaha Carbs

Post by sharkboy »

What model is the motor? I recently pulled the carbs on my 130s ('94 model) and did a good cleaning. The service manual calls for timing adjustments after a carb cleaning, but I was vary careful to put everything back exactly like it was and didn't think it would be necessary. I haven't had any problem since. Be careful with the brass jet plugs that are screwed into the aluminum housing, though. Some of mine were very tight and hard to get out without damaging the head--use the biggest screwdriver that will go in each one the first time.

I've also done the carbs on a couple of Johnsons that I've had and it went well also. You shouldn't have any problems.
I must fish.
Dale Hollow
Site Sponsor

Post by Dale Hollow »

When 'poking' out debris from the jets, I would recommend using a toothpick or some small slinter of wood rather than a metal wire or pipe cleaner. This eliminates the wire making the hole in the brass jet larger.

I used a pipe cleaner on an old motorcycle project and wound up having to replace the jet because of my error....

Most good service manuals or a 'Clymer' manual on the specific motor leads you through the process very effectively.

Good Luck

Dale Hollow
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

Just got my 90 Yamaha back from the doctor today. It was idling rough and stalling out. Turns out that the carbs just needed to be adjusted. It was relatively cheap and now she's purrin like a kitten :-D . You might want to check into that before you pull every thing apart.
Fish Masterson