Oil Spill

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CrispyFishin

Re: Oil Spill

Post by CrispyFishin »

:smt107 do what? :smt107
Work 'em silly Gators!!
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

big bend gyrene wrote:WAM, it's all Bush's fault... and I mean ALL!!! See below as proof... :roll:
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-bake ... rge-w-bush
For one minute I thought you had been drinking the "COOL AID" I knew if you went off the deep end that it was close to the end.

Semper Fi.

salute3 salute3 WAM OUT
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Dubble Trubble wrote:Just to be devil's advocate, lets say BP's bad publicity causes them to just go bankrupt and just quit today! Who are you gonna get to try to fix the leak. Obama and company? LOL, can you imagine what a mess we would have then? Sometimes, it is best to have the lesser of 2 evils....

You can bet nobody wants this leak stopped worse than BP. Yes, their CEO is not a great PR guy, but there are LOTS of people in this country that depend on them for jobs.

Dubble :thumbup:
Will you quit injection logic into this discussion ... you are really pizzing the liberals off! :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
newboy

Post by newboy »

Sea Scoop, thanks for the input. My jury is still out on how devistating this will be. The one thing I'm curious about is all the "fixes". Why is every option they've exercised been solely revolving around siphoning? Oil production has never left front page. Why can't an under floor explosion be used to seal the well or is keeping the oil flowing more important. I just feel like there have been multiple simple options put out there that haven't been used simply due to the fact BP would lose the tap.

Thanks,

Newboy
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

One of the callers to 100.7 this morning suggested inserting a cathetar into the pipe and inflating a plug therein, rather than plugging from the outside. Sounded like a good idea to me.

[SOAPBOX]
Still not sure why this is BP's "fault." Transocean was the contractor on the job. I understand that BP is on the hook to make it right, much like a GC will make it right when an electrician falls through the ceiling, but the GC should not be loathed because of the actions of a sub. The only fault would be in the intentional selection of substandard contractors and a failing to make things right after an incident. Transocean is arguably one of the most experienced drilling contractors in the world. They drill the well for BP, it is not BP personel doing the drilling.

To that end, all the hate toward BP is hardly justified. "Boycott BP" is reactionary and ignorant. BP has absolutely no interest in prolonging the issue. Every day that goes by is costing them millions, and they haven't even entered into the impending littigation, certain to continue for the next decade or three. The only agenda that is served by the severity of this disaster is the liberal tree hugger who wants to see drilling halted indeffinitely and gas at $8/gallon. I suspect there are a few in power who are tacitly excited about the opportunity that this presents for drastic regulatory change and the environmental impact is collateral damage requisite to the agenda.
[/SOAPBOX]
850-273-8818
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

• Oil sheen was reported by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) approximately six miles from Navarre Pier in Santa Rosa County on June 3.
cygraphics
Site Sponsor

Post by cygraphics »

The sad thing is most of those people could care less about the potential for disaster like this because they don't realize the true natural resources we have until they are gone. Hopefully the Big Bend and our area will be safe from this, but I personally don't see how.

I'm afraid this is going to have a terrible economic impact on everyone in our area in some shape or form.

With that being said, my family and I are still planning a week long trip to St. George at the end of the summer. I know there is a chance the beaches will be closed, but we still love it down there and figure that we would be better off spending our money there and keeping our vacation dollars close to home than somewhere else.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

BP IS SHELL'N OUT A LOT OF MONEY FOR IT TO BE TRANS. FAULT
reelcatch

Post by reelcatch »

The fault with BP comes from the report that said THEY insisted on a quicker drilling schedule than Transunion wanted. That is still unproven but comes from a person in the meeting and was interviewed on the news. Again don't know how true any of it is but that is where the fault would lie if true.
boggob
Site Sponsor

Post by boggob »

Brian Williams interviewed the widow of Jason Anderson who perished on the rig trying to control the pressure. He ended up saving lives. Follow the link and watch (at center left under the heading "latest programs")

It talks about some of the conerns he had with safety, as a Transocean Employee, with BP trying to take shortcurts:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3032619/
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Hey Newboy, an explosion to stop the flow is just too dang risky. The whole well could be loss if it goes wrong. When I say "whole well could be loss", I am not saying this in a financial sense (as they don't want to give up the oil well/field), I am saying that a bigger hole could be made and a lot more oil could come out.
The catheter idea sounds like a resonable one, but the pressure coming out is just way to strong at this point to make that work.
Let's hope the cap tonight allows a good portion of the oil to be siphoned up to the top. The relief wells are the only way to get this thing stopped.

Look for a lot more boats on the water in our area tomorrow (AL, MS, FL). Due to the wind shifts more vessels (locals: VoO Vessel of Opportunity program) will be used to help with this response in the Ms, Al, Fl area of response.
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
CrispyFishin

Post by CrispyFishin »

Why isn't the Florida Army National Guard rolling outing in mass? Armories throughout the panhandle are sitting idle
Work 'em silly Gators!!
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

No major role for the FL Army National Guard at this point. MS/AL Guard are in play but at a minimal amount, however, this is due to a limited role for them, i.e. logistics, supply, security, etc. are being provided by private contractors at the expense of BP. If the winds keep pushing product towards Florida, you may see more of a role by the Fl Guard.
The DCO (Defense Coordinating Officer) is fully involved and the assets of all federal military personnel are easily accessible to the response as needed. On a side note, the Fl Guard General (name escapes me at this point) was one of the first Florida reps to visit the Unified Command in Mobile and offer up assistance.
Good Night....
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

The top kill method would have worked if the well could be plugged with a catheter. This well is blowing some high pressure, which is why top kill didn't work. If you put too much pressure on it, it will blow out the casing lower down and then it would be impossible to stop or slow down until the side drilling holes hit it.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
What a mess

Post by What a mess »

Put a cap on the well and not a word. hmmmmmmmm WHY THEY MADE PROGRESS THAT IS WHAT WE WANT RIGHT?
Yesterday it was taboo today it is normal what the heck will they be doing tomorrow?