Going to St. Joe

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

downtimes

Going to St. Joe

Post by downtimes »

We are going to be in St Joe from Sun the April 25th to May 2.Going to bring the small skiff in hopes of trout and maybe some reds. We have been there before but never this time of year. Any Tips would be greatly appreciated.
Mike L.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

Stop at Presnell's and talk to them. Eckley will tell you where you need to go, what's biting and on what. Then buy something from them and support them. Let me know how you do. I'll be over there in 3 weeks.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Littoral

Post by Littoral »

Tom, I don't know Eckley but if you do spend some money there and support them are they pretty good with info?
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

I can't afford to support THEM and my family,but I will spend what I can with them.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

My statement may be misleading. They are very nice folks there and will help you out any way they can. I just didn't want folks to rush in with the car running outside and ask for the tips, then ride off to another ramp. They are a good local tackle store and deserve support.
Last edited by Tom Keels on April 22nd, 2004, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Amen, Tom.
downtimes

Post by downtimes »

We are planing to leave the skiff in thier marina. (Presnells) We had heard fishing was slow and was just curious to see if someone knew otherwise.
Mike L.
birddog
Site Sponsor

Post by birddog »

Downtimes- The fishing can be slow at St. Joe, but at certain times during the day the bite can turn on and get exciting in a hurry. I've had good luck fishing the major feeding periods lately and the last 2 hrs of a rising tide. If your looking for trout, south of Black's Island is a good place to start. They tell me me the redfish are really concetrated north of the state park on the peninsula. Look back at some of the past posts to see what kind of water people have been catching in. I've been catching better trout on hard baits and more throwbacks on grubs. I think the key is being in the right place at the right time. Now where the right place is I usually don't know. Just keep moving and changing baits. Something will eventually turn on. And do what Tom said.
Tom Keels
Site Admin

Post by Tom Keels »

The one thing you need to remember about the bay is you have to have moving water. If the tide isn't moving you aren't catching fish. Its as simple as that.
Tom Keels
Site Founder

Scott7138
Site Sponsor

Post by Scott7138 »

Downtimes -Some good info being provided here. Eckley is a good source like everyone has said. I spoke with him yesterday and he said that the guides have been doing well on LY's. Said they have had a 6 and 5 lb. brought in this week on live bait. I am going down this Sat. witha live bait strategy in mind. Bring a cast net to save some money on buying live bait. Find your grass flats around Blacks Island, I prefer the SE side. Eckley also said that had only brought in one Red from the head of the bay and said they were doing pretty good near the state park. Good luck and screaming drags...
downtimes

Post by downtimes »

Your right ...a lot of good info. I will let you all know how we do when we get back to Miami.
Mike L.