Scoop Sea's Oil Spill Thread

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Re: Scoop Sea's Oil Spill Thread

Post by captkeyser »

We heard ove the VHF Saturday that federal waters are now closed from the East end of St. George West. Is this true?
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Tarballs were found in the PC area yesterday. No new oil was reported on the beaches of Florida today. As for the federal waters being closed near SGI, I have not heard anything about that. I know NOAA came out with a new closure map tonight, but I do not believe that it incorporates SGI.

There is a push to get more boom out to the East, although the weather patterns for the next couple of days should direct the oil more to the north-northwest. Look for more booming in Franklin County and boom being placed in Wakulla County as well. This eastward movement of boom placement is an effort to ensure that boom is staged or put in place for precautionary measures on the eastern portion of the response area.

The afternoon storms and high temps are still major obstacles. As you can imagine, the workers out there in PPE (personal protective equipment) are burning up while cleaning the beaches.

The air and water samples still indicate no actionable levels due to the oil spill. :thumbup: :thumbup:

The billion dollar question still remains: How much oil is flowing out?

The relief wells are still tracking on course and barring no unforeseen stoppages the relief wells should be in place by mid-August.

It will take a little while for me to get back up to speed but I will try to answer questions, etc. as quickly as I can.

Remember: The oil will keep flowing until the relief wells are in place.
"Be Careful Not To Confuse Motion With Progress."
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

Looks like Lanark reef will be boomed in the next day or two. Also, boom should be in place from AP to dog island withing the next week/week and a half if the attention of the powers that be can be had :thumbdown:
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
Good Times

Post by Good Times »

Thanks Scoop.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Booms were partially deployed around Lanark Reef yesterday. The seas got rough and they may have run out of boom on the crew boats. But they'll likely continue to encircle the reef since it is a major bird sanctuary.

Here's the link on the latest federal fishery closure:

http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/sf/deepwater_ ... 062110.pdf
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Weather is still a problem. More boom is being placed in Franklin County and I believe that if all goes well, the booming operations (initial setting) will be completed real soon. Recreational Vessels of Opportunity that made it into the VoO program are being taken out of the VoO program in order to ensure that the commercial vessels are being utilized first.
Got a report of "sheening" up near the Wakulla Springs State Park yesterday evening, this report went viral and made it all the way up to D.C. I fully suspect that this sheening will be due to either an "opportunistic boater" or a fueling mishap. I find it very hard to believe that a body of oil went rogue on us and travelled hundreds of miles away from the leading edge and then made it up the river. But, this just goes to show that in this day and age, information, be it good or bad, travels as fast as lightening.
Wildlife impact in the Ms., Al, Fl, area continues to be minimal (please remember, I strongly believe one animal being oiled or impacted is one too many....) considering the amount of oil released and the length of time the release has been going on. The number of confirmed oiled/dead birds still remains below 70 for the three states.
If we can get a break on the weather we can fight this oil better off-shore and in turn reduce the chances of it coming on-shore. However, right now due to the lightening and rough seas, that has been a hard fight. Weather looks a little better for today. Gotta Run.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Anyone with a lick of sense would know that there's no way that the oil could travle UP the Wakulla river!! There's hundereds of thousands of gallons of water pouring OUT of the river every day :smt012 Hope that the weather turns awsome for the cleanup crews :thumbup: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

It probably came UP from Lake Munson.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

Agree Wevans, that's just a good example of how hyper sensitive folks are right now. I know folks' hearts are in the right place, but sometimes they need to use some common sense.

JT: If it came up from Lake Munson it probably would have been a "brown trout"..... I'm just sayin.
CrispyFishin

Post by CrispyFishin »

The picture is pretty convincing:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/06/23/pe ... tml?hpt=T2

Pensacola beach has a pretty good soaking of oil. It's only a matter of time before pictures like this are taken further East. It's a simple matter of volume and saturation.

Why hasn't the Florida Army National Guard deployed every available resource to assist?

Why did they remove the containment cap today?

Why should we believe numbers the BP quotes when they give collection estimates?

The questions keep adding up I guess.
Work 'em silly Gators!!
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

:smt010 :smt010 :(
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Scoop Sea
Site Sponsor

Post by Scoop Sea »

CrispyFishin wrote:The picture is pretty convincing:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/TRAVEL/06/23/pe ... tml?hpt=T2

THAT'S A PICTURE WE WERE HOPING TO NEVER SEE BUT AS THE ARTICLE SAYS WE ARE GOING TO STAY AFTER IT UNTIL IT'S DONE.

Pensacola beach has a pretty good soaking of oil. It's only a matter of time before pictures like this are taken further East. It's a simple matter of volume and saturation.

Why hasn't the Florida Army National Guard deployed every available resource to assist?
FLANG IS INVOLVED IN THE RESPONSE, AS WELL AS MS. AND AL. NG. I AM NOT SURE WHAT RESOURCES THEY CAN BRING TO ASSIST THAT AREN'T ALREADY BEING USED. MATTER OF FACT, I CAN'T THINK OF ANY, IF YOU HAVE SOME IDEAS ON WHAT THEY COULD BRING THAT ISN'T BEING USED PLEASE LET ME KNOW AND WE'LL SEE WHAT WE CAN DO.

Why did they remove the containment cap today? ONE OF THE ROBOTS KNOCKED INTO A PIECE OF MACHINERY DOWN RANGE. IN TURN THE CAP HAD TO BE REMOVED TO MAKE SURE NOTHING WAS WRONG (SPECIFICALLY NO HYDRATES HAD BUILT UP). IF ALL GOES WELL THE CAP SHOULD BE BACK ON REAL SOON.

Why should we believe numbers the BP quotes when they give collection estimates? CANT HELP YOU WITH THAT ONE.

The questions keep adding up I guess.
THERE WILL CONTINUE TO BE PLENTY OF QUESTIONS AND NEVER ENOUGH ANSWERS. i'LL HELP YOU OUT THE BEST I CAN.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

I really don't want to see this informational thread turned into a political debate, but others seem intent upon doing so. Seems like for every question about BP and I have a lot, I have 10 more for this present incompetent administration. Seems they knew there was a problem with this well back in FEBRUARY, long before the explosion, and did nothing to monitor BP's response to the problem then.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

We REALLY do need to keep this to a question and answer type thread, pertaining to things that SS can help inform and/or educate us about. Biotching and complaining about the administration or BP should be done on the NUMOROUS other threads about them "or start yer own" :smt012 Just my opinion "and yes, we all gots one" :-D :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Natureboy

Post by Natureboy »

Scoop Sea I appreciate you keeping us informed. I talked to Danny Bently and he said that the response effort has been slowed because of the possible tropical storm. What is up with that?
GEAUX TIGERS!