Lake Talquin Advice

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

brunner2178

Lake Talquin Advice

Post by brunner2178 »

Allrighty you bass addicts,
I put in at Williams landing on Lake Talquin, and can catch some fish in liitle river and along shoreline. Heres the deal. Does anyone have any advice on fishing the ledges and points and so on with carolina rigs or crankbaits. Does anyone have any points or ledges they fish with great sucess. I'm still learning how to do all this stuff, coming from S. Florida, were vegetation fisherman. Are there any points or dropoffs close to Williams landing that are worth a cast? Any advice or comments would help.
Thanx, Brendan
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

There is a multitude of structure all over Lake Talquin. I've been fishing that lake for 30 years. A few years ago, after running up and down that lake for years, I decided to concentrate on the area between Straw Hill Point and Scott's Dock. Williams Landing is about in the midle of that area.

There was an aerial photo made, and sold locally, when the lake was drawn down in the '70's. If you can put your hands on a copy of this photo, you'll have more structure information than you can fish in a lifetime. There are no coordinates to go with the photo, so, you'll have to idle around and look for the stuff that's out there. I've spent days on that lake when I never picked a rod up, If you can't find the photo, go to the end of the dock on the point at Williams Landing. Look to the north about 100 feet. You'll see a leaning stump. If you idle from the end of the dock to the stump, you'll cross the river channel. Start tracing out the river channel. I would suggest you head east, toward Coes Landing. Your bottom machine, and a half dozen marker bouys, will become your best friend. Look for outside bends, blowouts in the channel bank, and high spots.

With summer coming on, you'll need to learn to ledge fish. They won't be on the banks.
What was I supposed to do today?
brunner2178

Thanks

Post by brunner2178 »

Thanks Tin,
I have been doing some exploring, but that has ceased due to taking off the transducer on a stump (minor setback, plus exploration always has some sort of cost). But yes, everytime I've been in the last few months I've been gaining a little more, whether it be visually watching spots people fish, or via depthfinder. Thanks for the good advice. I'll take it and keep you posted on my adventures out there. Also a C-rig would be my weapon of choice. Are there any colors of worms that you have more suceess on as opposed to others?
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Everyone has a color preference. I personally like a black and blue mix. Zoom makes a color called Blueberry. I use that more than anything else.

If you have days when a C-rig doesn't seem to work, switch to a heavy (3/8 oz.) Texas rig. Pull it up to the cover and shake well. They're down there.
RedMann
Site Sponsor

Post by RedMann »

Color choice for TC? Hmmm, let me guess. Maybe, chartreuse? :wink: :-D
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Only in saltwater, Jim.

Believe it or not, I do own more than one color of saltwater bait. And even more colors of freshwater baits. :D
RedMann
Site Sponsor

Post by RedMann »

Whatever colors you have are definitely the right ones 'cuz you're always catchin' da fish. :thumbup: :thumbup:
brunner2178

Thanks for the colors

Post by brunner2178 »

Yepper,
I just purchased some of the blueberry zoom's the other day. I'll give em a shot. Tin, you get that e-mail I shot at ya? Thanks again.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

Brendan, :email: